Mainsail shape

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

John Z

Mainsail shape

Post by John Z »

We have a 2008 350 and are having trouble with the main sail on the Selden furling mast. As we sail into the wind, the main sail tends to loosen at the tack creating a bag in the sail. It is so pronunced that it will sometimes make it impossible to furl the sail into the mast. The only remedy has been to continually tighten the main halyard as we sail. We do use the cleat on the mast to hold the halard tight but somewhow the main loosens after a few minutes of sailing into the wind. Not sure if the sail or the halyard continues to strech during our first year with the new boat. Appreciate any ideas on this.

John Z
"Outstanding"
william vanwagoner

Re: Mainsail shape

Post by william vanwagoner »

I have the older Charleston Spar roller furling mast and don't know much about the Seldon, but it sounds like you do not have enough halyard tension. New halyards do stretch a bit. My halyards are run through blocks at the base of the mast and back to the cockpit where you can use a cabin top winch to tension them nicely. You might want to try this as the original set-up relying only on a mast cleat with no mechanical advantage is not the best setup.

Bill VanWagoner #229
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
John Z

Post by John Z »

Thanks, but the halyard is very secure when we unfurl the main. My son is a 6'4" 290 pound tackle and uses all is weight and leverage to tighen the main halyard before he uses the clete on the mast. Perhaps the halyard just continues to stretch.
vegasandre

Post by vegasandre »

Hi John
I have hull 471 and have had zero issues with this.

what I would suggest is to contact the dealer and inquire what the issue may be - as it may be under warranty.

thanks
Andre

-Calliope-Las Vegas -boat in San Diego
Catalina 350 MK11
hull #471
RCattell

Post by RCattell »

John,

We had this issue early on. You are going to have to run the halyard through the spare block at the bottom of the mast and back to the cabin top winch. The main halyard should be through the rope clutch on the mast, not the cleat. The cleat is for the topping lift. I don't care how much you weigh, you can't put more tension than a winch!!! :lol:
Richard Cattell
S/V Rachael Lynn
Catalina 350 Mk II
John Z

Post by John Z »

Thanks for the vauable advice. We will run the halyard to the cabintop winch. Much appreciate the help

John Z.
"Outstanding" Hull #472
RCattell

Post by RCattell »

John,

After you tension the main halyard, take it off the winch and re-coil it on the mast....
Richard Cattell
S/V Rachael Lynn
Catalina 350 Mk II