RADAR INSTALLATION

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

RCMURPHY

RADAR INSTALLATION

Post by RCMURPHY »

Hi folks. I am making decisions on the installation of a RAYMARINER radar radome on the backstay of SemperFI. Does anyone have a backstay mounted -self leveling system-supporting their Radome? If so, what kind do you have and how satisfied are you with your system? If you installed it yourself what was your experience? Thanks for any advice.
RC MURPHY
SEMPERFI 350 #008
Golden Handcuffs

Re: RADAR INSTALLATION

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

Mine is on a Questues backstay self-leveling mount; it seems to work just fine. It came a bit loose during hurricane Ike, but I don't really hold that against it; I just pushed it back into position and tightened the screws. I do like that it seems to "keep with the lines of the boat", but that's purely asthetic. I've seen other mounts that are eye-sores. I guess the Questus system is good because it gives you bunch of mounting options to stay out of the way of the rigging and whatever else (that is to say it can be assembled a variety of ways.
vegasandre

Post by vegasandre »

I am going to be installing a raymarine radar also . Would you advise this backstay mount or would you mount directly on the mast.

thanks
Andre

-Calliope-Las Vegas -boat in San Diego
Catalina 350 MK11
hull #471
Golden Handcuffs

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

People like mast mounting because it raises the radar higher above the water which increases its range. It's also in a more vulnerable position there as it can be hit by sails and slapping halyards, and requires a trip up the mast if anything goes wrong.

For what most people use a Catalina 350 for, there's no requirement for long-distance radar, so to me, backstay mounting makes more sense.