A/C winterizing

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's air conditioning here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

belladonna

A/C winterizing

Post by belladonna »

This is the 1st winter with my 350 and am looking for any advice on how to winterize the AC; all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx, Jim # 368 Lower Chesapeake Bay Deltaville, VA
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
wolfe10

Re: A/C winterizing

Post by wolfe10 »

Same as engine raw water side.

Close A/C thru hull.
Remove hose from thru hull and put in bucket of coolant.
Have someone outside to look at outlet from A/C (starboard side cockpit just above waterline).
Turn on A/C until coolant comes out outlet, then OFF.
Reattach hose.
You are done.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Thanx Brett. I wish I had your knowledge of the workings of the 350. I had gotten to that point with my 1988 Pearson P31 II but am now learning all over with the 350. What about the electric toilet, do you disconnect the supply hose from the thru-hull and pump A/F thru the system from that point?? Regards, Jim
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Jim,

The process would be the same. Since we don't winterize, I can not tell you what kind of antifreeze to use in the toilet. Should be in the book though.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

I just winterized both the a/c and the Panda generator using the Sea Flush funnel system (which I got at the Annapolis Boat Show). I'm a user of the Sea Flush - not a vendor - and it's definitely much easier than last year when did the typical; disconnect the a/c and generator inlet hose and run a separate hose to the anti-freeze.

The Sea Flush is basically an extra thick rubber funnel with attached bungie cords you attach to the top of the sea strainer by removing the cap off the sea strainer. The concept is nothing more than pouring anti-freeze into the funnel, then run the a/c or generator while it draws down the anti-freeze from the funnel. I used a gallon of anti-freeze for the a/c and three gallons for the generator. Last year it took a while to get the hoses off the inlet side of the sea strainer - this year it was no effort - and I didn't have any of the issues with removing and then reattaching hoses.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
tranquil

Re: A/C winterizing - see antifreeze in drain globe?

Post by tranquil »

Thanks for all the information on this blog - very helpful!

For some irrational reason that I cannot recall, I made the mistake of activating the marina to winterize my AC - duh !

They tell me the job is completed (for such an astronomical fee that I can't even repeat it) but I don't see any pink antifreeze in the drain globe (? is that the right term? probably not) which is in the bilge. In the past, when winterized, I saw antifreeze there.

If no pink does that mean not winterized?

Thanks
Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Yes, no pink in the globe means not winterized

I re-did it myself and now there is pink in the strainer globe