Installing A/C

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's air conditioning here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jbassi

Installing A/C

Post by jbassi »

I am in the process of installing a/c and I would like some input as to placement of the air handler and the condensor. I am considering placing the air handler in the starboard midship closet across from the head. Condensing lines running aft along the starboard ductway. THe condensor unit on the port under the port lazarette shelf. THere is an empty wooden platform that would be perfect for it. Is this a good placement? Where are these units normally placed? I am not crazy about taking up room in one of the closets but what choice is there? I did not want to occupy space in my starboard lazarette as this is a great garage for everything and easily accessible.

Any suggestions?
Jerry Bassi
C350 Amazing Grace #5
Vice Commodore, Long Island Sound Catalina Association
rickkremel

A/C location

Post by rickkremel »

My air unit is located under the port seat in the salon. This seems to be a great location since it allows an air duct to all points in the boat including the head. If you install on the starboard side, how will you get any ductwork to the head?
My dealer fed a duct to the back berth under the nav station. One main duct comes up through the shelf above the seat the a/c unit is under. A large duct passes through the head under the shower seat to the front birth port cabinet where it splits one vent to the forward birth and a second vent back to the head.
We keep the air running all summer and really appriciate the dry interior.
Sounds like a great winter project.
jbassi

A/C Location

Post by jbassi »

Rick,

Thanks for the reply, sounds like a good set up you have. However, on my boat the port seat is occupied by a starting battery and an inverter. Not much room left for an a/c unit. What size a/c unit do you have and what make is it? My installer is recommending a 16,000 btu unit. Anything less for this size and he says the unit would be working too hard. Does this sound right?
Jerry Bassi
C350 Amazing Grace #5
Vice Commodore, Long Island Sound Catalina Association
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Jerry,

I have a 16,500 BTU unit and it works great. The next smallest unit is 12,000 BTU and only saves you $150 so I would definitely go with the larger unit. I mounted mine in the starboard lazarette in order to take advantage of the 4 inch duct work that Catalina had already run. I wrote a description of my install in the August 2006 Mainsheet.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
DavidMC

Re: Installing A/C

Post by DavidMC »

Hello, I am in the planning stage in installing AC in my 350. I have read Kens Krawfords article in Mainsheets Tech Notes. My question is this........... Ken states that the shelf for the AC Unit is at the same height as the top shelf in the lazerette. If I am reading this correct I was wondering, does anybody (or Ken) have a photo of the return and duct location on the opposite side in the galley. I want to make sure I set the AC unit at the right height in the lazerette.

Thanks.........David
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

David,

Here's a couple of pictures that may help. The one taken in the lazarette looking forward is a little confusing due to so much stuff in such a little space. In the galley, the white grill on the top is the supply for the main salon. The larger teak grill below is the return. This is the one you need to be accurate when cutting. I placed some 3/4" foam weather stripping around the perimeter of this cutout (on the lazarette side) to help seal the return.
Be sure you buy the best quality jigsaw blades you can get. I went through 2 or 3 cutting through the fiberglass for the white supply duct. You can't see it from the pictures but I also cut and painted some shims for the left and bottom edges of the supply duct since the fiberglass part of the bulkhead isn't level or plumb at that point. My reason for putting the supply up high was that cold air tends to settle and also I didn't want it too close to the return.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
DavidMC

Post by DavidMC »

Hello Ken

Thank you for the explanation and photos. It is very helpful in the planning of my AC unit installation.

David :D
stevewitt1

Post by stevewitt1 »

Hello Ken
I understand it’s been a long time since you posted but I was wondering if you would be willing to repost your pictures. I’m in the process of doing the refrigerator/freezer insulation upgrade and hopefully will start my installation of ac/heat as soon as I finish.

Thank you in advance
Steve
Oconto Yacht Club on The Green Bay
Of Lake Michigan
www.ocontoyachtclub.com
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Since this is a very old thread, probably a good idea to use the "contact" button to send a private message.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL