Webasto quits after 16 months

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's air conditioning here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Fiftybucks

Webasto quits after 16 months

Post by Fiftybucks »

I am needing to repair or replace Webasto 16000 reverse FCF Platinum with either identical unit or Dometic (cruiser aire) or... Ocean Breeze. I am tending to just replace existing unit, but would like to never have to revisit the issues. If I replace with identical unit all the cables and drain would be quickly hooked back up. I am liking the Ocean Breeze because they are in Stuart, and individual components are available should it fail again. I have heard many good reviews of the Cruise Are dometic units. A service tech is at the boat in Palmetto today. Hopefully it is a simple issue.
Any here have the Ocean Breeze unit, or poor experience with Webasto?
Cheers Hull #380
Fiftybucks

Re: Webasto quits after 16 months

Post by Fiftybucks »

new Dometic (Cruise Air) 16000 BTU reverse cycle Turbo model was the unit chosen. A surround box fabricate at the time of installation.
Webasto is NOT SERVICE friendly. Webasto is less expensive, but the boat yard always goes with Dometic for reliability.
unit with additional soft start is going to be 2800...

in short on the webasto, if it has lost refrigerant, replace the whole unit.

we chose to replace the 30 amp inlet on the rear of the boat at the same time.
Cheers Hull #380
Fiftybucks

Re: Webasto quits after 16 months

Post by Fiftybucks »

The full replacement of the Webasto unit completed
Boat yard indicated that this was one of the worst installations he had seen in 18 years, and needed to be re-done correctly.
During the testing, he did put a charge into the system and it did indeed, start cooling. However, the switch controls in the cabin did not change the modes as desired. The fan would change 3 speeds, but the unit would not go from cooling to heating modes, or condensation mode. Always errored out in a E3 code, low side. Ductwork were wrong dia. Plenum wrong size. Register in rear cabin could not be shut down.
Result is better space utilization. Soft start installed. New 30amp inlet and 12ga wire previously overloaded by PO.

unit has been replaced and enclosed in proper box, cleanly and neatly. it can also be serviced. New unit is Dometic 16000 Turbo reverse cycle. Condensate drain to thru hull was re-configured to go to bilge, but I may change back to thru hull..
Webasto_old.jpg
Webasto_old.jpg (93.95 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
DometicTurbo1.JPG
DometicTurbo1.JPG (64.05 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
DometicTurbo2.JPG
DometicTurbo2.JPG (55.22 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
hardware cost with soft start, 2900.
Cheers Hull #380