Capacity

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Daniel Brodsky

Capacity

Post by Daniel Brodsky »

What is the official maximum capacity for persons on board a c-350?

I am filling in an application for a MMSI number to use the DSC communications system and I wasn't sure what the published max. number of persons on board is.
Daniel J. Brodsky
Holo Nui # 354
Whitehook

Capacity

Post by Whitehook »

Daniel,

I seem to remember a CE offshore rating certificate at the back of the owners manual that indicated eight people. My manual is on the boat so I can not say for certain, however, I have had more than eight people in the cockpit at anchor without any ill effect so I would not worry too much about what number you use as long as it is in that ballpark. My guess is that it is a rough indication to the USCG of how many people might be in danger if the DSC Mayday signal is activated.

Greg Klocek
s/v Whitehook #199
Daniel Brodsky

Number of persons recommended

Post by Daniel Brodsky »

You are quite correct, the certificate says the "Number of persons Recommended" is eight which likely means the "published max. number of persons on board".

I suppose it would be too simple to use the same language.

Thanks.

Daniel
Daniel J. Brodsky
Holo Nui # 354
Richard Thabit

Max on board

Post by Richard Thabit »

I have had 10 "full weight" adults counting me and my beloved on board for day sailing on the Hudson river. We have 10 adult size life jackets and 2 child size always on board. The boat handled fine and 2-3 persons were always either below or sitting along the rail so as to keep the cockpit "controllable". I did not know at the time that there was a max. of 8 persons. Is more than 8 a violation of Coast Guard Rules or simply a recommendation?
Richard
Three Sheets, C350 #111
Whitehook

Post by Whitehook »

In my opinion eight is really not a maximum number but rather the European Union's recommendation in order for the boat to acquire an Offshore rating. I think that unless the boat was riding below the waterline or unless you had an insufficient amount of safety equipment on board relative to the number of passengers no one would really care. On the other hand common sense would indicate that going offshore with more than eight would probably result in an excessively long line for the head.

Greg Klocek
Whitehook #199e