Zarcor Companionway Doors

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

CloseQuarters

Zarcor Companionway Doors

Post by CloseQuarters »

Hello,
I have ordered my new companionway doors from Zarcor for hull #339.
Wondering if anyone has advise /pointers on installation.
Thank you
Wayne Close
Close Quarters #339
Air Mobility

Re: Zarcor Companionway Doors

Post by Air Mobility »

I just installed a set a couple of weeks ago. The install was fairly easy. The instructions call for clamping the doors together prior to drilling the doors to accept the hinge screws. I used tape to hold the doors together since I did not have a clamp at the boat. Once the doors were taped together, the spacers installed and the new jams installed, I just drove the hinge screws home to complete the installation.
They look good and function well, but they are not particularly secure. I replace them with the old hatch board when I leave the boat for an extended time. For the price they could have been more robust. IMHO

George
S/V Air Mobility, Hull 158
Chesapeake Bay
nybor

Re: Zarcor Companionway Doors

Post by nybor »

ditto here. I installed mine a couple of months ago. I had to sand one side a hair, but the material sands very nicely. I would agree that they are very nice to look at, open well and are functional, but I would never use them as a replacement for the hatch boards when locking the cabin securely. I am also wondering about how watertight they are. I guess I can get a hose and lightly spray them. But they do really spruce up the cockpit.

dave