Looking to Purchase 350 Part 2

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KevinMc

Looking to Purchase 350 Part 2

Post by KevinMc »

I few weeks ago I posted asking owner's opinions on the 350 and I thank again those who responded. My wife and I have decided to move forward with the purchase and are now in the negotiation phase for hull #59.

My question is; what modification/upgrades has Catalina issued to correct post-construction issues? I have read there has been after-construction modifications for the; (a) fuel filter bracket, (b) prop cavitation, (c) engine anti-siphon valve, (d) PSS anti-siphon valve and, (e) (I believe) a muffler drain addition.

Are there any other after-construction recalls or technical bulletins I should make sure the surveyor inspects?
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
Kenneth Rollins

Re: Looking to Purchase 350 Part 2

Post by Kenneth Rollins »

The Sep issue of "Southwinds" News and Views for Southern Sailors, has an excellent review of a 2003 model 350. I think you could benefit from Harmon Heed's review. He was able to crew on the 350 and see it win a race. I was lucky enough to my division of the Portsmouth class of the Dauphin Island Race in Mobile Bay this year with my 2006, 350, CKARMA IV. My boat has a nonroller furling main with a 150% genoa. It also has a Max Prop and goes into a 17 knot headwind at 5.8 knots at 2800 rpm.

Ken Rollins
dpaulo

Post by dpaulo »

Allow me to weigh in here also. We purchased Ease Alee, 350 hull# 3, in 2006. We primarily cruise the Chesapeake Bay and she has served us well and we plan to keep her for awhile longer. She is our "last" boat.
We now have 1400 engine hours, have changed from the original 2-blade prop (yep) to the fixed 3-blade that Catalina recommended early on, have replaced a broken fuel filter bracket, a fuel lift pump, water pressure pump, a couple of bilge pumps, hot water heater, batteries a few times, refrigerator control board (and long ago added foam around the fridge), and just last week the Raymarine Chartplotter died (and there is no new model of anything that communicates with my Raymarine radar and SeaTalk instruments. If I am going to upgrade and have the instruments communicate with each other I will have to replace the lot or live with stand-alone instruments).

We have full-battened main, 150 Genoa, no air-conditioning. We motor slow, sail faster and wouldn't trade our experiences on this boat. Dan
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

Thanks Dan, we will be sailing in the lower Chesapeake and I'll pass along your comments to the surveyor when his surveys the boat in a few weeks.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina