Looking to Purchase 350

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KevinMc

Looking to Purchase 350

Post by KevinMc »

We are looking at a 2003 Catalina 350. Any problems you have had on your boat we should look at when we are considering making an offer?

It seems there are no "major" issues in the design, engine or electrical systems. Reading the boards I read there are a few issues with prop size, ref-freezer insulation and a few after construction modifications (fuel brackets) to make sure were corrected. But overall are there any problems you have all had with your 350's?
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
BillBerner

Re: Looking to Purchase 350

Post by BillBerner »

Kevin -

I own a 2003 C350, and thought I'd share a couple of thoughts with you. My home waters are Long Island Sound.
Don't underestimate the prop problem, especially if the boat has the original one, and doubly so if you also will be sailing in salt water, where current will be an issue. I find that motoring into a stiff breeze (18+) with a decent chop and small current against me, that I will be lucky to make 3.5kn sog to windward. Usually in most situations like this I'll wind up bearing off and tacking to my destination. It is a sailboat after all, but if you are trying to get somewhere or out of the way of something in a hurry, it's not a good situation. The noise of the cavitation in that situation is also quite loud and pretty alarming.

I find the boat won't do much sailing in less than 8kn of wind, and is really at her best in around 12-20.
In general I am happy with the boat. I'm into my 3rd season with her. You certainly can't beat the comforts below. But knowing what I know now about the motoring issue, I'm not positive I would buy her again. Not saying I definitely wouldn't, but I'd do some hard thinking.

My 2 cents.

In fact, if you are looking in the NJ, NY, CT, etc. area and would like to take a look at mine, I'd consider making a pretty sweet deal.

Bill Berner
#66 Spartina
Stamford, CT
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
russp

Post by russp »

:D Hi Kevin, I have a 2004 C350, hull number 150 so pretty early. Good news is that all bright work is in great shape, fibreglass seems very high quality and hull polishes up like new each time we lift her to antifoul and she remains bone dry and odour free in the bilge.

At 10 years I am just replacing the following, they may last longer in US with less UV exposure (I am in Australia): acrylic in cabin top hatches; solar vent in head; hoses in head; ring pulls on cockpit hatches (aluminium has corroded through the chrome plating); engine gauges plate (faded and cracking); Schaeffer roller furling bearing (Torlon isn't forever); halyards and sheets; all engine hoses and hose clips; halogen bulbs with LEDs (straight swap outs).

When to change the rig is another matter, depends on what the boat has done to date and where you want to go I guess. I am going to get a rigger to have a close look over it on the boat, but not planning to replace for a few years yet if no failures evident.

The prop has already been mentioned by Bill, and several owners have fitted the Kiwi feathering prop, big improvement in ability to push into a sea/wind combo. Fridge is hopeless, I have bought 10mm Aerogel and am planning to line the insides of both compartments, and am planning to fit a eutectic unit once the insulation is improved.

In short, aside from the fridge and prop, the C350 is very sound and only things you should need to look at/replace are the normal wear and tear items noted above. Ours has been looked after, and down below you wouldn't know it hasn't just hit the water from the factory. We have friends with other 36'ers, when we get back to Avalon we are reminded how much space in the cockpit, down below, and the fabulous headroom.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Kevin,

Interesting question. We've had a 2007 C350 for the past 2-1/2 years and took a couple out over the weekend who were considering the purchase of a 2008 model. They asked the question: "What do you like the least about the boat?". Honestly, I didn't have an answer for a long time. Eventually, I said the waste holding tank. First the size of the holding tank at about 20 gallons is way too small for coastal cruising of more than a couple of days. Part of the problem is the salt water flush control. It seems to use about a gallon of salt water to flush a small amount of liquid waste. A previous boat we had employed a 3-position flush switch that allowed you to pump the head out dry, add water without flushing, or add/flush simultaneously. We've got in the habit of doing that, by opening/closing the salt water sea cock to the head (which is so conveniently located in the forward berth instead of in the head), or just using the shower head to flush the toilet when we're not concerned about fresh water consumption.

Now to contradict some of the other comments about the fridge/freezer. The best feature: Our C350 has the coldest beer of any boat I've ever owned. Possibly our newer model has better factory insulation than the earlier models, but this is the first boat I have ever owned that didn't require me to buy a bag of ice nearly every day while cruising. We've cruised for up to 3 weeks without ever having to buy ice to keep food fresh or the drinks cold. We did fill some cavities around the top edge with expanding foam, and it does suck up a lot of power (about 100-120 amp-hours/day). But if you install a big enough house battery bank and have the facility to keep them charged up the fridge/freezer are adequate for the coastal cruiser that the C350 is. Probably not satisfactory for long range cruising or live aboard activities.

It all depends on how you intend to use your boat. It's not a racer, it's a very comfortable coastal cruiser. If that's what you're looking for, I'd buy it again.

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
PHerzfeld

Post by PHerzfeld »

We have Hull #55 also a 2003 and we LOVE it. We're in Southern California. The fridge was a bit of an issue, but I bought some spray-insulation and covered up the interior space that was unusable (under-side-corners and such) and since then it's been a lot better. Replaced the prop with a Flexo-fold folding prop which works great, and other than that the boat has held up very well. Still has the original sails and rigging and we take her out 3 out of every 4 weekends between april and november, I race her in beer cans once a week thru the summer, and do about 5 or 6 extended weekend cruises - plus I've raced her on the Newport-to-Ensenada race and placed 4th out 15 (missed 3rd by 14 minutes!). The boat has been a great and comfortable boat and very reliable. We have a fresh-water head so no smells and like others we've replaced the halogens with LEDs for better battery life. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Phil
Paramethia
Hull #55
AynB

Post by AynB »

We have hull #17. We lived aboard full time for three and a half years and cruised the Salish Sea ( Puget Sound to the Broughtons ) when out. We have over 3500 miles under our keel ( belt? ). We've a bit over 1200 hours on the engine. That is just for perspective.

Prior owner installed a Max Prop and we cannot speak more highly of that choice. In snotty conditions ( read 20+ knots on the nose, wind against tide, waves to three feet ) we can make about 3 knots SOG. Any more throttle and we cavitate every 'stopper'.
There are a few engine maintenance items that you already know about. One however you have not mentioned - and this is not a Catalina fault. The ZF Hurth gear box, by design, is a short lived unit. Rather than installing a thrust bearing to take the load of the shaft when motoring, Hurth installed a thrust washer. When it wears, you lose forward and have to rebuild or replace. We lost ours at about 800 hours and was told by the servicing company that 500 to 800 hours is not uncommon, and they have seen them go in as little as 200 hours. Preventatively all you can do is NOT follow the factory schedule (change every 500), but change the ATF every 100 hours instead. Any boat you are considering purchasing, you really need to see and handle a maintenance log.

The fridge sucks both juice and in general. We get by with a huge load of solid ice to act as a thermal mass, and we have a cycle time of about 30%. We have not yet attempted the serious mods to the walls and insulation, but you might luck out and purchase one that's already been done.

The prior comments about the levels of wind the C350 need are spot on in our experience. Less than 7 knots, we motor, reef at 15 to 18, unless running, over 20, we seek shelter. That said, our only grief is when it's piping up, our rudder gets pretty tight.

We also made a major change from stock upon purchasing: we replaced the water heater with a diesel fired system that gave us the ability to add a hydronic loop for cabin heating. Unit is made by ITR and we are quite happy with the system as a whole.

If you do get a C350, know also that there are actually TWO groups for communications: this forum and the international owners mailing list. Some of the same folks, some very different. Worth joining both. C350 List <c350ia@catalina350.net>
An a welcome as well. They really are great boats.
Al
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

I would like to thank everyone for your insights and comments. We have decided to move forward and I will have the surveyor pay extra attention to the areas you have mentioned. Again, thank you all for giving us your honest opinions and suggestions as we make this important decision.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

A couple of you mentioned a max prop that you are happy with. Can you tell me the size, pitch, and rpms at wide open throttle and cruising? I am looking in to getting a new prop.
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
dpaulo

Post by dpaulo »

Just back from a week-long sail on the Chesapeake Bay on Ease Alee, 2003 Catalina 350, hull #3, 1400 engine hours. We love her.....great cruising boat, comfortable for the two of us and occasional guests or grandkids. We've owned and sailed her since 2006.

Fridge was an early problem. Runs better with the extra insulation added. Runs still better when batteries are strong and new. I've replaced a fuel lift pump, hot water heater, Raymarine chartplotter just died on this trip, a fuel gauge, water and waste tank gauge. We do not have A/C or in-mast furling.

Would I buy her again? Yes. For our purposes she's as close to just right as I could find. Good luck. Dan
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

The Catalina 350 actually exceeds our expectations.

When we moved from offshore to coastal cruising we went from a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37' to the Catalina 350. We have since done about 5,000 miles in the Catalina-- most of it in trips from Galveston Bay to the Bahamas.

Build quality and sailing and motoring characteristics exceeded our expectations. Refrigerator issues can be addressed by adding insulation (which we did by drilling into floor of refrigerator and using spray foam) and keeping it defrosted.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL