good places to retire

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

william vanwagoner

good places to retire

Post by william vanwagoner »

I currently live in southern California and plan to retire in the next 5 to 6 years, and would like to relocate to a less expensive, quite place with equal or better access to the water. I have been surfing the web a bit and have seen some possibilities along the gulf coast, Corpus Christi for example seems to have some nice housing with boat docks in the back yard. I would appreciate any thoughts and input you have on such locations' where sailing is good and costs are reasonable.
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
wcconway

Re: good places to retire

Post by wcconway »

I hope you will consider the Gulf Coast of Alabama. Forget everything you've ever heard about Alabama, as we are a well kept secret (oops....maybe not anymore). We currently sail out of Orange Beach, Alabama, where the sailing season is all year. Situated between Mobile, Alabama, and Pensacola, Florida, you get the beautiful Gulf of Mexico, the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway and lots of bays for inshore cruising. You can be in New Orleans in several days or Key West within a week, or less, depending on your route.

We currently own a condo with a slip less than 15 minutes from the Perdido Pass into the Gulf. There are several other 350 owners in the area, too.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

Thank you, thits is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for.
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Two comments for you;
You might want to look for a location that has a large "Bay". I know some people that have boats in Ft Lauderdale, and have to travel for 40 minutes just to get to the inlet. Then, they have to sail in the ocean, which might be more than their guests wanted. A bay can offer quick in and out, calm waters, and great local cruising. Mobile Bay, Pensacola Bay, Tampa Bay, Sarasota Bay, Charlotte Bay (Ft Myers), just to name a few. Of these, I'd pick downtown St Petersburg, Fl.
Waterfront property so you can have the boat behind the house, or not? I've done both, had the boat at the house, and had the boat at a marina. My choice is a marina or club. First of all, don't think that dockage at the house is free. It actually costs more if you consider things like property taxes, flood insurance, dock and seawall maintenance and so on. (Of course investment wise, waterfront can't be beat). But the thing I really missed with the boat at home was the camaraderie and knowledgeable help from the friends I made at the marina. Some of the best times I've enjoyed on the boat were at the marina, at the dock, having a beer with a few fellow sailors. When the boat was at the house, I rarely saw my old marina buddies. At the club I'm at now, we have several people that pay for a slip even though they have a dock behind their house! The ideal situation might be the condo or townhome, with the marina.
Let us all know if you find nirvana.

Bill on Triumph
saileagleswings

Post by saileagleswings »

Take a look at Punta Gorda Fl. If Punta Gorda were named North Naples, prices would double! Nice yacht club & boating clubs . Check our blog, http://saileagleswings.blogspot.com/
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Burnt Store Marina Punta Gorda is the place to be.
Easy access to Charlotte Harbor and The Gulf of Mexico.
We have a condo over looking the marina where our boat is docked..
In the process of selling our house in Nashville TN.
Simplifying our life style and cutting expenses.
Favorite place to sail to: South Seas Resort on Captiva Island. As a regular customer I get the slip I want.
It is like being in the BVIs.You can go there either via Charlotte Harbor and the ICW or go Charlotte Harbor out to the Gulf at Boca Grande and sail the gulf south right into the marina at Captiva.
They allow dogs on the beach which is a must for the admiral.
Docking is $450.00 a month for a C350
Disclosure:
(The author was paid $250.00 by the Chamber of Commerce of Punta Gorda) :D
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

I live in Blaine WA. We retired here about 15 years ago. Spent most of our working years in Wisconsin and dont want another winter like they have. A lot of Californians retire up here - no state income taxes - lousy schools etc.

There are 2 C350s in the City marina: not sure if there are more in the Semiahmoo Marina across the bay. We can get to the San Juan and Gulf Islands (Canada) in a couple of hours subject to wind and tides. There are hundreds of islands between here and Alaska, and protected sailing most of the way. Summers are very moderate - winters it rains often but there are some nice days - 50F - and we sail all year. Snows once or twice each winter but it only sticks around for a day or two. No shortage of marinas and old fishing villages etc. Bellingham is the nearest US city, Vancouver BC is just over the border about 45 minutes away. Tourism is the only major industry left. PLenty of golf courses etc. Cheers.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.