Ike Approaches

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Golden Handcuffs

Ike Approaches

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

We have owned our 350 for just over a month now, and have enjoyed it immensly. Words can't express how easily the boat is to sail and handle...it's such a vastly different experience from our Catalina 250. Not that it was a bad boat in any sense, but the stability and momentum of the 350 is what sailing is supposed to be (at least for us).

Now, unfortunately, a terrible hurricane is heading straight for our vessel, which is moored in Seabrook, TX. We're a few hundred yards from Galveston bay, but reasonably well protected by an earthen wall (about 8' high), a highway bridge and some buildings. We visited the boat yesterday, to rig it down and secure it. Thanks a lot to Sam, the previous owner, for providing a detailed checklist of pre-hurricane preparations. We took off the canvas and the genoa, and added a bunch of lines. We're very well secured with mostly 5/8" lines, and a monster 1" spring line. However, that can only do so much. Our floating dock is very nice; it has a newish rubber rub-rail, and floats on steel pilings. The dock can float at least 15' above normal water levels, maybe a bit higher. However, at that height, the boat will essentially be in the open waters of Galveston bay, where the waves may shred the dock. I think we'll be able to weather a 6-10' storm surge quite well; if it's worse than that, I really can't say what will happen.

I'm not sure what my point is; I guess I'm just self-realizing the reality of our situation. Buying this boat was a major life event for my wife and I; to think that it could all disappear in the next 24-36 hours is fairly surreal. Perhaps my point is that if you're sitting at home on a saturday afternoon watching TV, and your boat is just waiting patiently at the dock, remember that fair winds and calm seas are a luxury we don't always have.

Luck to us all...
R.B.

Re: Ike Approaches

Post by R.B. »

Good luck to you and all that are in the path of Ike!

Stay safe.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
calgon

Post by calgon »

We are in Pensacola, Fl. with Calgon in a canal behind our house. We currently have about 6 feet above normal tides. She weathered Hurricane Ivan in the same spot with 20 feet of extra water. Tie all the lines you can and pray. Good Luck.
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Hope "Golden Handcuffs" made out well during Ike.
Can we all learn something from your experience ?
Please give us an update.
Thank you
Golden Handcuffs

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

Ike has come and gone. An experience I hope not to repeat any time soon. I will post pictures and thoughts in the storm prep forum.