Refrigeration

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tpeyser

Refrigeration

Post by tpeyser »

I am sailing a 2008 350 Mark II. Even at the lowest setting, my refrigerator is freezing some of the contents such as fruit, water in bottles, etc. (And all contents is stored on upper shelf furthest away from cooling unit). Any one else experience this? Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.
EvenKeel

Re: Refrigeration

Post by EvenKeel »

My-Oh-My, a post about a refrigerator being too cold is a first for this group! It looks like Catalina really did make some changes.

Unless something is wired wrong, it sounds like the thermostat itself is the culprit. The freezer compartment thermostat on my Mk I is the same way--- Setting 1 has the same effect as Setting 7, but the insulation around the box is so poor I have no problem with freezing in the refrigerator compartment even when the spillover fan runs at 100%.

How is your Mk II frig set up? Are there separate compartments?

Gary
Even Keel II #288
tpeyser

Post by tpeyser »

Thanks. No separate compartment. I know previous owners complained that they couldn't keep things cold enough and had other problems with refrigeration. I am going to check thermostat and other items this weekend when I get out to the boat. If I find anything interesting, I'll let you know. But I suspect it is thermostat problem.
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

On our boat we had problems with things freezing in the bottom section of the fridge. This was solved by closing the "shutter" on the hole between the fridge and freezer. This stopped any issues with freezing in the fridge. Maybe adjust the fan in the fridge not too cycle on so much. Ours seemed to be fairly reasonable with the adjustments.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
RCattell

Post by RCattell »

tpeyser,
My boat hull #451, the first Mark II had the same problem. The thermostat installed is the wrong one. Mine had a freezer thermostat installed. Get with your dealer and have a refrigeration guy come out and change it. Mine now works fine, no freezing and can control the temp. They are color coded for the purpose intended. Can't remember the color code, or call Adler-Barbour. What is your hull #?
Richard Cattell
S/V Rachael Lynn
Catalina 350 Mk II
tpeyser

Post by tpeyser »

Thanks so much for the reply. I'll contact my dealer. As requested, my hull is #480.