trouble getting Catalina Parts

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

djones

trouble getting Catalina Parts

Post by djones »

Catalina Yachts is starting to frustrate me! As some of you know, we bought hull #13 as a project boat, and knew we needed a bunch of parts to bring her back to the land...er...water of the living.

I've called numerous times, and once actually got to speak with Mr. Pandy. Apparently he is the only one who can help with C350 parts. Now nothing in this is against Mr. Pandy as it seems they are very shorthanded right now.

I wanted info on the updated fridge doors. He said I can't get them free any more. I also wanted the anti-siphon kit. Not free any more. Catalina was going to get right back to me with a price for these items, but haven't heard from them since. Can't get anyone on the phone now either!

I've since learned that I needed to replace the upper portion of the backstay. My measurements of the old backstay on our boat are off by a number of feet from the dimensions in the downloaded 350 manual. I've since ordered from a rigging supply house since I can't get Catalina to talk to me.

Has anyone else had this trouble dealing with them? I'd think Catalina would try to help buyers of used boats. We stepped up from a 25 to a 30 and now to a 350. My brand loyalting is taking a bruising here!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Don Jones
#13, Oak Island / Southport, NC
Allsail

Catalina Service

Post by Allsail »

I would write a letter to Frank Butler if u have exhausted all other avenues. He has never failed to respond to letters i have written to him re the issues/questions i have had over the years. Warren Pandy is a nice guy who seems to have a lot on his plate. They had a service rep down there named Gary who was real responsive but has apparently left. He was really a big help to me. I still feel Catalina, although clearly not perfect, is more responsive/owner friendly than the other production boat builders on a number of fronts.

Good luck.
LONGHAWK

responsiveness

Post by LONGHAWK »

I have had great experience with Catalina and especially Warren. They recently had one person pass away, leaving Warren to handle quite a bit of work.
I would recommend getting non-unique parts from the after market. Running and standing rigging can be obtained anywhere.
I can understand the anti-siphon kit and refrigerator lids no longer being free. These were offered to fresh boats during the time period folks normally sort out a new vessel.

Hang in there. It may take several attempts to get Warren, but I have found that he is responsive.

LONGHAWK #173
johnny canuck

Post by johnny canuck »

Try calling Chris in parts. Phone 818 884 7700, extension 259.
You can also email him at chris@catalinayachts.com
Their hours are 7am to 3pm PST

Some parts available through catalina parts direct

Good luck
djones

Post by djones »

Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to 2nd source everything I can at this point.

I'm pretty much down to making a choice on the refrigeration as to whether to put the original system back in, or replace with some new design, maybe a holding plate.

Also, I guess I can duplicate their anti-siphon kit with misc. parts.
They did tell me that on new boats, the PSS isn't fed from the engine cooling system any more, they just vent the PSS to another higher thru-hull to bleed out any remaining air.

Thanks,
Don Jones
Triumph

Catalina Service

Post by Triumph »

I've had very good service from Pandy and the others. But right now, you are trying to get them during the Miami International boat show. You'll find them all down there for the past few weeks, and they will finally settle back into their offices the beginning of March. Don't expect to get them right before the Annapolis show either. Good luck, be patient.
djones

Post by djones »

Yep, being patient. But waiting weeks now for a call back is a bit excessive in my book. I feel extremely fortunate that I've never had to deal with the factory with my previous Catalina boats.

Meanwhile, I've out-sourced most of what I need. Garhauer and Charleston Spar have been great help. Most of the interior cabinet hardware can be had from Hafele. "Rigging Only" gave great service with a new backstay. Adler Barbor is another matter, that evaporator seems to be custom shaped for the C350 fridge. May have to switch brands there.

Probably won't go with Catalina stock sails either.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Don
EvenKeel

Post by EvenKeel »

I've tried numerous times over the past 6 months to get an e-mail or phone reply from either Warren or Chris about my refrigerator hatches. Not a word. Ever.

I've kept up with various Catalina association forums since 2000, and have heard such complaints over and over. I realize it may not be Warren or Chris fault at the moment, but it is still absolutely inexcusable at the company level.

I think I'd rather be cussed at than ignored.

Gary
Even Keel II