veneer

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

veneer

Post by nybor »

Hi. My veneer is discolored by the sun. I also tried to "polish" it with Lemon Pledge which made the splotches worse! Has anyone tried to sand and re-poly the wood? Or maybe use a tinted polyurethane?

thanks

dave
KenKrawford

Re: veneer

Post by KenKrawford »

Dave, I think using tinted polyurethane would be your best option. Start with a light shade and recoat in it’s not dark enough. Make sure you wipe the Pledge off with mineral spirits or some other solvent so the poly will adhere.
The veneer layer is very thin and it doesn’t take much sanding to go through it. Don’t ask me how I know this! 😢
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
nybor

Post by nybor »

Thanks Ken. That is what I was thinking about doing.

dave

ps, just got back from a trip to Cuba! Left from Venice FL. If anyone needs advice, now I know!!

dave
JohnNorton

Post by JohnNorton »

Dave: I recoated the interior using a "clear" gloss (NOT satin) interior polyurethane (varathane) product. This resulted in a noticeably darker finish.
As to the marks you have and using Pledge: I did the same, had to bleach out spots (which did not work too well) then used a "touch-up" crayon to get the color of the spots to match (this done before recoating with varathane). I'd not do this on a hot, dry day as the varathane sets up quickly, leaves brush marks (thin with water if necessary).
nybor

Post by nybor »

Thanks for the tips. In fact, Len over at Catalina parts said their millworks can produce new veneers! My portlight got hit from a wave and leaked water into and down the veneer before I discovered it (had charts stacked up over it.
Len said a new veneer is $250 (or close to it). So I am going to go with the new one and will let the Forum know how it went.

dave