rain water in forward cabin

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

hperros

rain water in forward cabin

Post by hperros »

This is a new boat for me, and I dont now all if its secrets! When it rains I find water in the compartment where the depth finder and speed meter are. I looked underneath the floor and I found that it comes from a hole that seems to be in the bottom under the bed near the windlass compartment. I opened the access panel to the windlass compartment but could not see any evidence of water. I was wondering if any one can shed some light to this.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
jbd3

Re: rain water in forward cabin

Post by jbd3 »

Check the windlass seal. Mine leaked and I found water on the forward shelf near the reading light that is near the midline, far forward.. easy fix and dry afterwards..
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Another area to check is where the forestay connects (between anchor rollers).

You can remove the Breckson plate in the anchor well and use a hose to see if water is running down forward of the anchor locker.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

You might also want to read this thread: http://www.catalina350.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=15&t=736

I found that the sealant around where the forestay tang protrudes between the 2 anchor rollers had loosened causing a leak. On our boat, the 2 anchor rollers create a 'V' shaped cavity that slopes downward going aft. At the bottom of the 'V' on our boat the 2 sides are welded together solid making the cavity hold any rain water or bow splash. At the bottom of this V shaped cavity the forestay tang protrudes through and any leaking around it goes into the the bilge forward of the anchor locker, under the forward berth and to the area you described. I filled the cavity as best I could with clear silicone and it lasted a year or 2. The last time I used clear Lexel to see if it would last longer. So far so good.

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
hperros

Post by hperros »

Thank you all for your replies. I did trace the source of the leak to the chain plate. The seal forward of the plate was missing and it was non-existent all around it. I filled up the whole area with silicon. The "founding fathers" provided a hole in the bottom of the compartment where the plate is, for the water to drain into bilge - a nice touch.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331