Anchor swivel-shackle

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

C350ia

Anchor swivel-shackle

Post by C350ia »

We are replacing the [original ?] shackle that connects our 160 feet of 5/16" galvanized chain rode to our Delta 35 pound primary anchor on IRISH AYES. She is a 2004 C350 #227.
It looks like a swivel-shackle device but is rusted solid.
I am inclined to replace it with a simple shackle. I do see conflicting opinions on the pros-cons of the swivel-shackle device that apparently keeps the twist out of the rode.
I would value any opinions on this from my "mates" on this forum.

Captain Mike
SeaBreeze

Re: Anchor swivel-shackle

Post by SeaBreeze »

Mike
I have a conventional shackle and I do notice the twist as the chain is retrieved. In my area I deploy about 100' of chain. I have experienced no problems with regards to the twist. I have read the swivel shackles are the weak link in the chain to anchor set up but I do not recall how significant this is. Perhaps doing a search on a chain manufacturers web site can provide strength data for chain and the two shackle types.
Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
C350ia

Post by C350ia »

Rick,
Thank you. This is what I have read as well. Some say it is the pin in the swivel that is the weak link of the system.
When you notice the chain rode twist is it when you are turning around [180-360 degrees or so] at anchor due to current/wind/tide, or just staying relatively stationary?
I will look at the chain data. Thanks for the advice.
Mike
IRISH AYES
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Mike
To answer your question....I am in a tidal area and we swing 180 every 6 hours. I don't notice much twisting due to change of tide. I notice it as the chain is being pulled in by the windless. If you watch the chain closely as it approaches the Maxwell you see each link turns slightly more clockwise than the previous link. This movement is slowly transferred along the chain back toward the anchor. My windless is rotating in a clockwise direction as chain is retrieved. This becomes more apparent as the anchor breaks out and you watch it come up to the bow roller. The anchor is rotating ccw to "unwind" the chain remaining deployed. It doesnt appear that much stress is being placed on the chain or shackle. Maybe it would if I were deploying a lot more chain.
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
C350ia

Post by C350ia »

Rick,
Thank you very much. I will look for this twist more closely as I retrieve my anchor [35 lb Delta]
I appreciate your help and advice.

Mike
Irish Ayes
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

I saw this at the Toronto boat show. They claim the swivel is stronger than the chain, and it positions or flips the anchor so it comes up properly on the bow roller. Pretty pricey though.

https://www.ultramarine-anchors.com/flip-swivel-hook

US contact:
http://www.ultramarinewest.com/en/
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342