Mud!

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

Mud!

Post by nybor »

Hi. I am getting ready to move my boat from Merritt Island to Venice (not Italy or California). Unfortunately, the slip I want is not yet available. I visited a marina in Bradenton (20 miles north) and the dockmaster said that in the winter, the water level is "kinda" low but that the two sailboats residing there simply "plow thru the very soft mud to get to the channel". Hmmmm. One of the boats is a Hunter 41 and the other (can't remember, but he said its draft was 5'6" and the Hunter 4'8"). It is a very large boat so I assumed both it and the Hunter are winged.

So, any comments on the "plowing"? I have ablative paint, so was thinking that if it was ok, I haul her and repaint just the wing with a harden paint.

Thanks for any comments.

dave
wolfe10

Re: Mud!

Post by wolfe10 »

Dave,

What draft do you have?

If wing keel, you should have no problem getting into Bradenton. Don't know which marina you are considering-- perhaps it is a problem just as you approach the marina.

Sure, come in on 3/4 AND RISING tide. Sailed that area for several years without issues.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
nybor

Post by nybor »

Brett Thanks!
the marina is Sara Bay. It is really in Sarasota, but north (7040 N. Tamiami Trail. The draft is 4' 6".
I think I will wait until the end of November to move her since the Harbortown is very safe.

thanks again

dave
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Never been to that one.

Though you were referring to one up the Manatee River.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Dave
I've been there once in a Grand Banks with 4' 2" draft. Channel is shallow, narrow and not mud. I remember firm sand and a warning from a licensed captain local about rocks. We didn't ground but had a couple of tense minutes with depth alarm buzzing at MLW with wind N 15-20. Locals can recommend a range on two buildings but I don't remember details. Venice is nicer spot with fast access to the Gulf and great restaurant called the Crow's Nest with docks at jetties.
Rick
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Dave
Have you considered Gasparilla Marine just south of Englewood? It would be on your way to Venice. They have done good work for us in the past and sailing in Charlotte Harbor area is really good.
Rick
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

I like the comment on "just plow through the mud." I'm in Chesapeake Bay, which is all mud, and a M35B pushing a C350 doesn't plow very well. From personal experience plowing can quickly become stuck in the mud (don't ask how I know this). I would check with the other two sailboat owners for their feedback on getting in and out.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
Karla

Post by Karla »

I would not recommend plowing through mud to get to your slip. How would you be able to get out? Once in the slip how deep would the water be? Enough to run your A/C? Think of all the gunk you could suck up.... Even at high tide with a north wind we have touched bottom and found the Intracoastal Waterway in-passable in Clearwater and Tampa Bay. In Venice we watch the wind and tides carefully.

Bradenton is a long way from Venice. It takes an hour to drive, and 8 hours by boat. We have our bottom painted at Snead Island Marina and traveling on the outside in the Gulf is the best. The Gulf Intracoastal Waterway gets very skinny near Cortez even at high tide. We moved at a snails pace, watching our depth and holding our breath.

I just looked up Sara Bay Marina and it would take you 4 hours from Venice by boat. Plan on a 45 min to one hour drive by car depending on traffic. It could take an hour for you to go through Big Pass out into Sarasota Bay. Big Pass has shifting sands and the water gets skinny. Sarasota Yacht Club puts up monthly updates on Wave Points for passage. http://www.sarasotayachtclub.org/ click on Big Pass.

When we first moved to Venice we rented a slip along a canal in advance of arriving and after one night found Carpe Diem heeled over at low tide. We then moved to Marker 4 until a slip opened up at the Yacht Club.

You asked about slip fees at the Venice Yacht Club. They range from approximately $325 - 350 per month depending on the slip location. We joined the Club before we moved to Venice full time so we could put our name on the waiting list for a slip. I do not know if the Club currently has any slips available that would fit your 350. It's constantly changing. They try very hard to be accommodating. You could call the Head Dock Master Ted, who works Monday and Tuesday and he could give you an idea of availability. (941-483-3625) With monthly dues of $211.17 and slip fees in the 325- 350 range it is a good deal to have a Club that provides pump out services at your dock, reduced fuel costs, 24 hr video security you can view from home, and a Club with excellent food, fun, and friends. Plus the reciprocal agreement to use other Clubs facilities as your own, and stay at Florida Council of Yacht Clubs for the first night free. Plus we have deep water all the way to the Gulf and it is a very short distance to travel. Check out the utube video. You could also check out Marine Max in Venice for a slip.

Good Luck finding a slip.

Call if you have questions (702-355-0046 Karla)

Karla & Gus Olson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WxC3A0HZ6o
Gus & Karla Olson
C350 #464
"Carpe Diem"
Venice, FL
saileagleswings

Post by saileagleswings »

I second the recommendation for Gaspirilla : http://www.gasparillamarina.com/ . Perhaps you will consider Fisherman's Village in Punta Gorda. Do not count on Big Pass. A recommendation made to me: Never plan on coming in Big Pass. Only go out in fair weather, light wind and a rising tide. I never had a depth problem in the ICW from Clearwater to Fort Myers.

Venice Yacht Club would be a great choice when a slip is available as discussed above.