Lightning

When you have a great day sailing or when a cruise experience turns out to have been fun, exciting, or significant in some other way, then TELL US about it! Post pictures if you have 'em.

Moderator: KenKrawford

R.B.

Lightning

Post by R.B. »

The harbour master gave us a call on Saturday. Several boaters witnessed lightning strike and sparking at the top of our mast. We of course feared the worst. I headed up on Sunday to take a look. Atop the mast we have the VHF antenna, the windex and the ST60 wind transducer. All looked to be OK. When I stepped aboard I heard the hum of the fridge compressor. I turned on all of the interior and exterior lights, and all the electronics worked as well. I guess I should have bought a lottery ticket :) It seems we fared OK!

I do not have any additional lighting protection other than how the factory prepared the boat.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
oktbrian

Re: Lightning

Post by oktbrian »

You should feel fortunate. Lighting hit at our marina and many boats suffered. It took out all of my electronics as it did a few other boats nearby. Now, $27,000 and 7 months later we are still dealing with problems to get our boat fully functioning. On the bright side, our 2003 boat now has 2011 electronics.