forward locker idea

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

forward locker idea

Post by nybor »

Sorry if someone has already addressed this. I was going to store some sails in the locker beneath the mattress in the forward sleeping quarters. However, at the bottom are holes to allow water to flow back to the bilge from the bow. I want to make the space dryer, so was thinking about making a cover (split PVC along the centerline and 3M 4200 to seal it). It would be like a tunnel.

Any comments on yet another one of my stupid ideas?

thanks

dave
AynB

Re: forward locker idea

Post by AynB »

We also thought that we could make use of this space, but we found that 1) it was wet, 2) it was damp , 3) it had a lot of excess moisture in the space. :D I'm sure you get the idea. Any leaks at the forestay drain into this space as do leaks from around the windless system. So, what we've done is to get a large Rubbermaid style tote, took the flaps off the top and wormed it into the space. This keeps our stuff from contacting the wet walls ( especially during the winters when condensation is at it's worst ) and corrals the stuff. I have seen on another C350 a very elegant piece of work done creating a varnished lath grid that prevented anything from touching the sides or bottom, with about 1.5" clearance ( he used 3/4" teak lath , cross hatched to make the surfaces, with the only about 3/4" gap between the laths ). As I said, this was very elegant, made good use of the space and kept his stuff dry as possible. It also took him about a month to do, if I recall. So... you're off to a good start with your idea.
Al
nybor

Post by nybor »

Thanks for the input. I think I will try my tunnel method. Then put a couple of Damp Rid containers in there and see how much moisture accumulates over time. I will keep folks informed.

dave
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

To Brett Wolfe: what did you do to your forward locker to waterproof it?
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Used PVC cut in half for a "mold". We are away from the boat, and don't remember whether it was 3,4 or 5" PVC.

Then fiberglassed it over the center water channel. Used West System Epoxy.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

Thank you Brett. This will be a good Fall project.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida