Carbon Monoxide detectors

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Dave DeSalvo

Carbon Monoxide detectors

Post by Dave DeSalvo »

Am contemplating installing hard wired detectors. Has anyone done this? If so, where did you locate them, how did you wire them into the system, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks

Dave
Ventosa
jonnjones

Re: Carbon Monoxide detectors

Post by jonnjones »

I installed one under the sink near the fresh water pump. Ran the wires along the same route as the pump's. Installed the control/switch panel at the Nav station. Had to drill a small hole in the wood panel next to the switch panel to run the wires from the control panel.

Was concerned that locating the sensor under the sink in the cabinet there would shield it from fumes, but it works fine there. It has alarmed on more than occasion when motoring downwind and getting engine exhaust in the cabin.

My detector is also a propane sniffer - wanted it as close to the stove and low as possible.
Jon and Lori Jones
S/V Wind Orchid
Annapolis
Hull #273
ps23435

Post by ps23435 »

Jon. What is the brand of the combined CO and propane detector that you installed?

Thanks.
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
jonnjones

Post by jonnjones »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I'm using Safe-T-Alert. It is sold as a propane detector, but it alarms on CO2, butane, and methane.
Jon and Lori Jones
S/V Wind Orchid
Annapolis
Hull #273