bow thruster add on

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

keevers

bow thruster add on

Post by keevers »

Considering adding a bow thruster to the catalina 350. Has anyone done that and what was your experience? Just trying to improve the docking with big winds and currents. Any help will be appreciated.
seatime2

Re: bow thruster add on

Post by seatime2 »

I put one in as soon as possible after purchase in 2007 and have been very pleased with the performance. One key issue was getting power to the thruster and reeving heavy cables for the considerable current needed was considered a no no. I put a battery in the forward compartment under the fwd double bed and it is charged using a solid state trickle charger which only requires low current (small diameter wire) from the donor battery at the Nav Station. The only issue is that the donor battery has to be above around 13volts i.e., when it is on shore charge or the engine is running and the alternator is delivering the 13 volts.

Good luck, Richard Jenkins Nancy Scott#439 berthed at Gosport UK
keevers

Re: bow thruster add on

Post by keevers »

Thanks for input. Did you have to alter the water tank under the berth or was there room. What brand and what hp did you use. Thanks