has any one tried to install a self tacking Jib system? or

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Lynn

has any one tried to install a self tacking Jib system? or

Post by Lynn »

ever used one? Reason I ask is that we sail on a damed river here in Saskatchewan--winds are great and lots of islolated anchorages--I am looking for a catalina 350, moving up from our cat 30 and have been thinking about self tacking jib systems--they seem to offer them on a lot of the newer european boats. I understand that most sailors are pretty traditional but in the early 1980's furlers were cutting edge and no one had much over 11 HP for an engine, in fact a lot of sailors were still sailing into anchorages and marinas. Would any of us seriously consider buying a boat today without a furler and with an underpowered engine?

So I am not trying to freak any one out here--but for a coastal cruiser in an area with great but variable winds, where it is possible to run out of water and have to tack 30 to 40 times a day some days, having a self tacking jib option has its appeals.... has anyone tried it?
LONGHAWK

self-tacking jib

Post by LONGHAWK »

I don't beleive it would be useful on the 350. This boat gets a lot of its drive from the jib. A self tacker would be limited to less than the foretriangle and seriously underpowered. Just my opinion. I agree that things change over time. I now sewar by (as opposed to swear at) roller furling mains.
LONGHAWK #173
Lynn

re self tailing jib...

Post by Lynn »

well that is a good reason. Thanks for the quick response

We have been shying away from furling mains and I have to wonder if I am being a ninny about that. We are afraid that if something goes wrong, we have no facility to fix it--are they as simple as jib furling now? That is pretty easy to fix if there is a problem. How about sailing characteristics versus classic full batton main?
LONGHAWK

roller furling main

Post by LONGHAWK »

Yes, I beleive the roller furling main is well sorted out now. I have had no problems. The sail does not take shape as well as a battened main though. You will give up some performance but gain a lot of ease. You will notice that folks with a roller furling main will use the main more often. Folks that have to raise and douse thing twice.