Winch Handle Holder location

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Richard Thabit

Post by Richard Thabit »

It may seem strange that I am asking where do you place your winch handle holders as I start my 4th season with Three Sheets, but having none has not been a problem until I started racing last week with 5 on board. Up untill now I placed the handles in the line bags located by the mainsheet winches and they did not have a high frequency of use in cruising. Also, I was usually the user and I was not rushed.

There is a location on each side of the companionway on the verticle wall from the cockpit floor to the seat which seems like a good location, but it is thin walled. Has anyone put a backing plate of teak or other material inside to strengthen this location prior to installing winch handle holders? I fear that the wall is too thin to take holders without support.
Or is there another location???? I want to install two holders.
I wish Catalina had addressed this when they designed the boat and built in two recessed areas in the cockpit.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Richard
C350 111, Three Sheets
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Richard, you didn't state wheter or not you have the cockpit table. I mounted my winch handle holder on the forward leg of my cockpit table. Like you, I considered many options but didn't want to drill any holes if possible. This location is roughly in the center of the triangle formed by the 2 sheet winches and the main sheet/halyard winch so it is fairly accessible. If this sounds interesting, let me know and I'll post a picture of how I did it.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Richard Thabit

Post by Richard Thabit »

Ken,
Thanks for the reply. No, I do not have a cockpit table, so I need to find another location.
Richard
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken,

I do have the cockpit table, and have been contemplating the same location you described. I would be most interested in seeing those photos.

Thanks,

Josh
Richard Thabit

Post by Richard Thabit »

I finally mounted two holders to the base of the pedestal using strapping. No holes were drilled. The holders have slits in the sides at both the top and at the bottom to accomadate 1" strapping which I purchased at West Marine along with two SSteel "buckles". It's OK and has worked for a few races thus far. One holder is on the starbord side of the pedestal and the other on the port side. I place the winch handles in the holders with the handles facing forward so they are reachable from in front of the pedestal and they don't interfere with steering. I do not have a cockpit table. My crew "approved" this fix. Time will tell.
Richard
Three Sheets #111
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Josh,

Here's a picture of what I did. The post on the table is 2" diameter. I used a hole saw to cut the piece of teak that backs up to the leg.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Pbrenner

Re: Winch Handle Holder location

Post by Pbrenner »

Richard Thabit wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:15 am I finally mounted two holders to the base of the pedestal using strapping. No holes were drilled. The holders have slits in the sides at both the top and at the bottom to accomadate 1" strapping which I purchased at West Marine along with two SSteel "buckles". It's OK and has worked for a few races thus far. One holder is on the starbord side of the pedestal and the other on the port side. I place the winch handles in the holders with the handles facing forward so they are reachable from in front of the pedestal and they don't interfere with steering. I do not have a cockpit table. My crew "approved" this fix. Time will tell.
Richard
Three Sheets #111
Would you be in a position to share a photo by any chance ?
Happily sailing on "fuzion III" (Hull 452) in Québec, Canada
Pbrenner

Re:

Post by Pbrenner »

KenKrawford wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:07 pm Josh,

Here's a picture of what I did. The post on the table is 2" diameter. I used a hole saw to cut the piece of teak that backs up to the leg.

The photo seems to have vanished , could you share again if still available ?
KenKrawford

Re: Re:

Post by KenKrawford »

That post was made when images were stored on outside hosting services. The one I linked to is kaput. I'll take a pic next time I'm at my boat and re-post.
Pbrenner wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:46 am
KenKrawford wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:07 pm Josh,

The photo seems to have vanished , could you share again if still available ?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Pbrenner

Re: Winch Handle Holder location

Post by Pbrenner »

No rush Ken as our boat is on his steel support out of water as per 99% of sailing vessel in east Canada. It will get back in water on May 7 ;-) so take you time