Shade Maker

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Triumph

Shade Maker

Post by Triumph »

This is the best thing I've added to the boat. On those days when the sun is strong, and you wish for more cool shade, this is the answer. It measures 12 feet long, and 5 feet high. The brass gromets are every 18 inches. It's an 80 percent shade, so you can still see through it. It goes ups in minutes, and stores away to about the size of a beach towel. You can move it anywhere around the boat. Cost is $75, and it will last for decades.
Image[/img]
Last Boat

Shade Maker

Post by Last Boat »

Triumph, I like your Shade Maker! Can you tell me where I may purchase one? Did you have to install the gromets?
Thanks,
Nelson Gainey
Last Boat
C350 #345
Triumph

Shade Maker

Post by Triumph »

Best place to get this is through me. The company that manufactures these has minimum ordr amounts, but because I've bought several of these , they usually bend the rule for me.

The gromets are installed at the factory. The material is a very flexible, soft mesh. It folds up real small too. I suggest a size of 5'x10' . Email me at cullensailor@gmail.com
tranquilcat42

Re: Shade Maker

Post by tranquilcat42 »

Triumph

Do you have any left for sale? If so, what size, color and price?

Thanks

Tranquil
Teri Weber
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

On a similar note, we were in Annapolis last week during the heat wave while cruising with my dad who owns a C400. Two members of the cruising club had made shade covers that draped over the topside of the boat. One cover draped over the boom from the mast to halfway over the bimini and the width of the boat, . The other cover draped over a line strung from the mast to the jib and again was the width of the boat. So, basically 95% of the boat was under cover (no pun intended.....well maybe). They said the covers made a signifigant difference in the temperature of the cabin and cockpit.

One cruiser used white ripstop nylon from JoAnn Fabrics and the other cruiser used white parachute material purchased on eBay. Due to the lightweight material, the covers were very compact when not in use. The covers were sewn differently and attached to the boat differently and there was nothing metal incorporated into the fabric, ie: grommets. We believe they used loops sewn into the fabric, or maybe large reinforced buttonholes for the tiedown lines.

Has anyone made similar covers for their 350 and if so, would you share the diminensions along with "words of wisdom" in making these covers?
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I’ve done something like this in the past. The final version had sleeves in it going across the boat. Into these I put bendy light weight pvc pipe. On the end of the pvc pipe, I put a tee fitting, with the long side cut out to allow it to slip over the life lines. I doubled the fabric over and put grommets in it to hold it in place. This would look similar to that Shadetree awning you see advertised. My friends made fun of me saying the boat looked like a Conestoga Wagon. I now have canvas awnings, and I’d say the temperature drop on a hot day feels like 20 degrees in the cabin.

Bill on TRIUMPH
bibbjs

Post by bibbjs »

Bill,

Do you still have a lead on these Shade Makers?

J.
Magick Dragon
C-350 #45
J. Bibb
Magick Dragon (formerly Snooze Time)
Hull #45
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Yes. I have a few that I can sell. Out sailing now. Be back nov 25. Email me then. Cullensailor at g mail.
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I just reorder a bunch of Shade Makers for anyone that wants to buy one. Cost is $65 plus $12.35 shipping. I now have Navy Blue, Black, and Dark Green in stock, and can order Tan. Grey, and a half dozen other colors. I can also get custom sizes made to order. email me cullensailor at g mail dot com

Bill Cullen
s/v TRIUMPH
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

Triumph, does this allow breeze to come through? Where does it fix to?
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I does not let the breeze come through. It is 85% blockage for both wind and sun. However, if you are anchored, with the bow to the wind, this can provide welcome shade from the sides and back of the boat. and you still get the breeze. Usually where we sail, the prevailing winds are from the east, so this resides most often around the stern of the boat offering protection from the afternoon sun.

I have a (mostly) exposed bimini support bar about 24 inches in from the back edge of the bimini that runs across the stern, (made by JSI). I have shower curtain hooks that i can slide into place, and hook the Shade Maker on these. Since it has brass grommets every 18' along all sides, it can also be tied in place. I do this when I run it along the side of the cockpit. It's 10 feet long, so it can cover half the stern and one side of the cockpit up to the dodger. It's 5 feet tall, so it runs from the shower curtain hooks on the bimini right down to the cockpit coaming, behind the split back stays.

Good questions. If anyone that has bought one of these wants to comment, please contribute.

Bill
s/v TRIUMPH
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

I just recieved my second shade maker from Bill Cullen and it is great. I now have enough to go around the entire cockpit on sunny afternoons. These work great and I think they do provide some airflow though it may attenuate the breez a bit. I also understand that Bill has more of them available if anyone is intersected.
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I just got a new supply of these if anyone needs one. Email me at cullensailor@gmail.com

Bill on Triumph
Donnamarie17

Post by Donnamarie17 »

Hi Bill,

Still selling the shade maker?

Thanks

Donna Crowder
Hide Aweigh
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Yes. I still sell these. $60 plus about $15 shipping from Tampa.
use email cullensailor@gmail.com

Bill on Triumph
SeaBreeze78

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

I have one of these from Capt. Bill. We go ahead and re-rig it on the opposite side after the sun goes down. In preparation of the next sunrise. Our breezes are predicable, so we know where the sun will hit us in the morning. Plus I take my 5 dodger covers with me and can put in a quarter shade if needed. What a difference it makes. Love it.