V Berth Mattress Topper

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

cuthbert

V Berth Mattress Topper

Post by cuthbert »

Anyone bought one?

Tufted Topper advertises in "Mainsheet"
Other companies I have found online are
Quahog Bay Bedding
Mattress Insider

yachtbedding.com is a local company on the south west coast and attend boat shows so I guess they may have some C350 customers?

I noticed I was getting mold on the mattress base and apart from the best way to clean it off I would also be interested in anyone has comments on dri-deck vs hypervent (defender.com) or similar to go under the mattress. In searching for the under mattress air gap solution I came across Froli systems which looks really impressive, anyone install this?
cuthbert

Re: V Berth Mattress Topper

Post by cuthbert »

thumbnail_IMG_1892.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1892.jpg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
After spraying and wiping with a 50/50 bleach and water on the mattress to get rid of the mold marks, I went ahead with the most comprehensive solution of getting a small air gap under the mattress and purchased the Froli spring system. I needed the large V berth kit rather than the standard one and I think that was about right as I used all the standard base parts and had a few of the half size ones left over. I tried it out for 5 days this past holiday weekend and it certainly added some spring to the mattress.

Today I junked the 2" of memory foam in a bag/sleeve that I was using and put the tufted topper on which I measured/purchased via the mainsheet advertisement. We sleep feet to the bow so I don't know if this perfectly sized item with straps will cure the tendency of the foam to creep off the off end of the bed until we next go sailing/overnighting but it looks much nicer. I couldn't lift with one hand and take a picture with the other to show the Froli springs underneath but it does bring the mattress an inch higher.
cuthbert

Re: V Berth Mattress Topper

Post by cuthbert »

I just wanted to post a follow up on this for anyone who is looking to do similar.
I made two changes

1) Froli spring system to get a small air gap and more support and cushioning
2) Tufted Topper

Both products are advertised in "Mainsheet".

We have been out sailing the past week and sleeping aboard and it is a night and day difference to the original setup. very comfortable, as good as sleeping at home. The topper does not move at all, nothing bad/downside to report on making these two changes.