Top down spinnaker

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Wisail

Top down spinnaker

Post by Wisail »

I have 2010 hull number 489 and want to install a top down furling spinnaker/code 0. The twin anchor rollers take up a lot of space where a pole could go. Has anyone fitted a extendable pole with this roller set up? I thought about making some delrin guides that fit into one of the rollers and installing an attachment in the locker as I only use one anchor. The pole would conflict with the shank of the anchor. There is a loop on the end of the roller. Has anyone used this as an attachment? I would prefer more extension than this loop would supply. Thoughts?
markws1852

Re: Top down spinnaker

Post by markws1852 »

I have hull number 300 and installed a top down code 0 last year. We did not install a pole but instead used the port side anchor roller to install the furlex code 0. My yard fashioned a loop that goes around the bow roller and attaches to the bottom of the furlex drum. Works fine with a couple of cavets: (1) you cannot tack without furling the sail. This has not presented a problem so far as we tend to use the spinnaker on long tracks; (2) it is a bit more cumbersome to raise the spinnaker at sea with this configuration. We tend to do it at the dock in preparation for its use during our sail. Once furled, it does not interfere with the use of our jib.

Mark
Legal Tender III
TBOT422

Re: Top down spinnaker

Post by TBOT422 »

We attach our furling spinnaker directly to the loop over the port anchor roller. You may want to read this thread with pictures of various configurations.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=791
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)