Poleless Soinnaker

Post your technical questions or solutions about getting the best performance out of your boat here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Richard Thabit

Poleless Soinnaker

Post by Richard Thabit »

I have Hull # 111, Three Sheets, equipped with in mast furling main and 135% roller furling jib. The boat sails well on a beat and on a reach is very good, but is very slow down wind. I am interested in inproving downwind performance without having an experienced crew, in fact sometimes none to one crew member. Some folks at my marina have suggested a poleless spinnaker such as the Gennaker form North/CD Direct. Have any of you suggestions and experience with this type of sail? I would appreciate specifics even as to where to purchase.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Richard
LONGHAWK

down wind performance

Post by LONGHAWK »

I have hull #173 with same main and jib set up. I have installed a very functional whisker pole set up. It mounts on vertical track on the front of the mast and is controlled with a continuous loop control line through turning blocks on the mast. I use a line controlled / extendable whisker pole and use pre-spliced after and fore-guys to keep it all in control. The spare jib halyard is used as a topping lift. One person does have to go on deck, but it is really a smooth set up.

Sam
LONGHAWK
R.B.

Sounds like a nice setup

Post by R.B. »

Hi Sam,

Do you have pictures of your setup?

Thanks,
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
Dave Granata

downwind sailing

Post by Dave Granata »

Richard,
Look in the Rigging Forum of this website under "Spinaker Size". I think it will tell you all you need to know of a good downwind setup using an genaker or Asymetrical sail.
I have flown mine by myself but only in 8 knots of breeze or less. You do have to go on the foredeck to hoist and douse but in that breeze usually the autopilot can handle it no problem. It's a fun sail to have.
Richard Thabit

Poleless Spinnaker

Post by Richard Thabit »

Thank you for the replies. I did look at the rigging section and it was very helpful. I will get a whisker pole for the genoa this spring and later in the season look into the Gennaker type sail.

Thanks again,
Richard