Gale sail / storm sail

Post your technical questions or solutions about getting the best performance out of your boat here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

LONGHAWK

Gale sail / storm sail

Post by LONGHAWK »

does anyone have experience with the "gale sail" by ATN? Or, any experience with other storm sails? I am interested in having something other than the roller furling option when offshore.
Sam

LONGHAWK # 173
LONGHAWK

Gale Sail use

Post by LONGHAWK »

I purchased the gale sail. I had opportunity to use it recently during an offshore sail from Galveston to Port Isabelle. It wotked better than expected. It is the 100 sq ft model. It hanks on over the furled genny fine. There were two of us on the bow ksnking it on and in very confused and large seas we never burried the bow. The 350 has great reserve bouyancy.
With sustained winds over 26 kts (gusting 32) and a partialy furled / reefed main, the helm was well balanced and I could still get drive though the seas. If anyone wants, I have pictures of the sail flying.

Sam
LONGHAWK # 173
R.B.

Pictures

Post by R.B. »

Pictures are always appreciated :) POst away please.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
Capt. Nini

Re: Gale sail / storm sail

Post by Capt. Nini »

Longhawk....I bought a Gale Sail second hand. How do you hank the sail over the furled jib without the jib sheets interfering? Also, do you route the sheets for the Gale Sail thuough the genoa cars?