Anchor bridle - attachment and deployment

Post your technical questions or solutions about getting the best performance out of your boat here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze

Anchor bridle - attachment and deployment

Post by SeaBreeze »

I’m rethinking the method and materials I’ve frequently used for an anchor bridle. I quickly learned a one line snubber over the bow roller can be noisy in higher wind and chop. I’ve used chain hooks and a Mantus hook on 3 strand nylon for bridles. The chain hook or Mantus are subject to jamming (Mantus) or falling off (hook) as they go over the roller. So I have to lean over the bow pulpit to make the attachment beyond the roller. For me that’s a dicey two step in rain or chop. A rolling hitch is easy and safe to apply since this can be applied to the chain between the winch and bow roller. No risk to the captain doing a swan dive over the bow. But, I’ve read reports that a rolling hitch can fail. (untie by itself) I’ve not had a failure but I’ll admit if I got careless and didn’t snug up the knot it could fail. So I’m looking for easier, safer, more secure options. By accident I learned about 2 climbers knots that look promising. After all, if a climber puts his life in the hands of these two knots, why wouldn’t they work on a bridle? The knots are a prusik knot and a klemheist knot. The former seems easier to apply. Benefits seem to be - can not fail under load. Easily relaxed to reposition if more scope needed. Safe for the captain to attach between windless and bow roller while captain remains on the foredeck. Easily goes over the bow roller. I’m wondering if anyone has tried either of these knots and found fault with them. You can find these knots on a web site called Animated Knots by Grog. Just one of several sites.
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
R.B.

Re: Anchor bridle - attachment and deployment

Post by R.B. »

Hi Rick,

I do occasionally use a Prusik hitch to add a snubber on my rode. Seems to work ok.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342