Mainsail Removal

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Fat Cat

Mainsail Removal

Post by Fat Cat »

I attempted to replace my 3/8" furling line on a Charleston mast today. I understood the correct procedure is to pull out the mainsail, slack off the mainsail halyard, remove the mainsail, and then replace the furling line. My problem is the sail refuses to slide down... it probably has not been removed since the boat was built in 2004. Am I doing the right thing, or does anyone have any suggestions for a stuck mainsail?

Thanks,
Fat Cat
pdenoncourt

Re: Mainsail Removal

Post by pdenoncourt »

I imagine you are already aware of this, but it has caught me a few times, so here goes: there is a line clutch on the starboard side of the mast at about shoulder height, that the halyard passes through after exiting the mast. In the past I have found that this clutch can be sticky; even though it seems fully open, it is not. I have been able to open it by pushing the lever up until the lever actually contacts the mast. If this is your problem, then the halyard will not move, and obviously, neither will the sail.

At the top of the mast the halyard passes over a sheave which has very little clearance on the sides, so it is difficult to imagine the halyard is jammed in that location. The end of the halyard is shackled to a plastic puck that should slide up and down the furling rod inside the mast. You would have to ascend the mast to find if this puck is stuck on something, perhaps corrosion of the furling rod under it? Otherwise the sail's luff line should slide up and down the slot in the furling rod and it is difficult to imagine what could be restricting that.

Beyond that I have no other ideas, except to ascend the mast and look for problems.

Good luck.

Peter Denoncourt
s/v Kite, C-350 Hull #72
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Hey Fat Cat - I must be missing something here because I don't know why you have to lower the main to replace a furling line? I assume you are referring to the inhaul furling line that wraps around the grooves at the bottom of the furling rod; if so that can be replaced easily by just furling and unfurling the sail. The outhaul furling line attaches to the boom track car at the clew of the main and just pulls it out along the track. However when pulling the sail out (with the outhaul) make sure you keep a little tention on the inhaul line so it will wrap smoothly in those grooves to prevent any overwrap. Just my $0.02 worth!

Bella Donna
# 368
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

I had quick look at the cleat for the main halyard, played with it for two seconds, and the main pretty much wanted to slide down under its own weight. Thanks, S/V Kite for the tip. And to Bella Donna's tip, right at this moment, I can't see a way to replace the mainsail furling line without removing the mainsail. When furled, there seems to be about six wraps around the furling spool, and when the mainsail is hauled out, the furling line continues to wrap around the spool, pretty much filling it. Are you suggesting the old furling line can be removed simply by loosening the mainsail, disconnecting the tack from the stainless hook at the top of the spool, and then pulling the old line off? That would make things a little simpler... looking forward to your reply. Thanks.

Fat Cat