Genoa Blocks

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Genoa Blocks

Post by TBOT422 »

On the list of something else to check:

While sailing last week, the Genoa sheet block separated. By that, I mean the roller came unscrewed from the car stud on the track. I never imagined the block could unscrew from the car while the sheets were in the block. It doesn't look like it could turn. But, apparently the little threaded sleeve in the block that screws onto the stud on the car is free to rotate even though the block can not make a full turn due to the sheet being routed through it.

Fortunately, it was the only time that something broke or came apart on the boat where parts didn't fall overboard. I simply screwed the threaded sleeve back down on the stud and continued sailing.

Apparently from time to time you need to inspect the sheet blocks and see if there are a lot of threads showiing on the stud on the car. If so, the sleeve needs to be screwed back down onto the stud on the car.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Richard Ad

Re: Genoa Blocks

Post by Richard Ad »

Hello Gary: The same thing happened to me under 20-25kt winds. It was a good lesson to not stand on the leeward side of a working sail. When mine came apart it popped out to a straight line between the winch to the head sail clew with a lot of force. If someone was standing there it could have easily knocked them overboard. I captured all the pieces from going overboard while sailing, repaired it and continued sailing. The threaded stud you mention should be tack-welded once it is threaded into the housing so it will not turn. I called Garhauer, told them what happened and that I repaired it. They asked for my hull number and within a week I had two new genny-car-blocks at my front door. They have either a 5 or 10 year warranty on all their products. I recently installed dinghy davits and really like Kato; however, because of the Garhauer took care of my genny-car-blocks I purchased Garhauer davits and really like them. It's all about quality and service.
TBOT422

Re: Genoa Blocks

Post by TBOT422 »

Richard,

Interesting. What's your hull #? Possibly a bad run at the plant. My blocks show no signs that the threaded sleeve was ever welded to the stud on the car. I many give Garhauer a call.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)