Rope Clutch for Jib Furler line

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

knotmeter

Rope Clutch for Jib Furler line

Post by knotmeter »

A while back there was a post where one of the 350 owners replaced his jib furling line cleat with a rope clutch. I can not find this post any more. Has anyone else done this? Which rope clutch did you use? How did you mount it? Does the metal backing plate go under where the original cleat is mounted on the side of the control station where the other rope clutches are located?
Tim April IV

Metal Backing Plate

Post by Tim April IV »

I think you can take a look and see for yourself. I pulled the access panel above the galley - that would allow someone to get at the optional main halyard winch - and took a look at that backing plate. I forget how far I figured it went outboard from the current clutches, but I do know it goes inboard. I mounted an additional clam cleat inboard and forward of the existing mainsheet clam cleat and did hit metal when I drilled. I used this to bring my outhaul back to the cockpit so it could be adjusted without going to the forward end of the boom. (I do have the traditional mainsail - not the in mast furling.
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
RCattell

Re: Rope Clutch for Jib Furler line

Post by RCattell »

I was looking thru the mail list and found this Spinlock PX powercleat that others have used.
http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg= ... =jrnmfsdpo
I bought PX0812 from this web site, and installed it with the screws that the cleat was installed with.
Used marine silicone and no backing plate needed, the cleat does not use one!
Works great so far. Paid a little over $40.00. Have fun with it.
Richard Cattell
S/V Rachael Lynn
Catalina 350 Mk II
jonfreeman

Post by jonfreeman »

I ordered the Spinlock clutch from Defender ($43.00 with shipping), and installed it over the weekend. Perfect fit! I will be trying it out this weekkend, but expect it to be one of the better changes I could make. Great tip! More to follow.

Jon Freeman
C-350 #51
RCattell

Post by RCattell »

Jon,

Thats great, we think the boat should have come with it installed!
It works much better especially when the wind pipes up. I wish you were able to use the winch with it though.
Did you find the old cleat through bolted or just screwed?

Good luck.
Richard Cattell
S/V Rachael Lynn
Catalina 350 Mk II
jonfreeman

Post by jonfreeman »

I DID use the clutch with the winch this weekend, and it worked fine. I am totally pleased with this addition to the boat. I especially like the lift and go nature of the clutch. Just lift the rope, and she is loose. Pull down, and she locks. So much simpler than the cleat. :)

BTW My mounting screws were screws (NOT bolts and nuts).
EvenKeel

Post by EvenKeel »

Jon & Richard-

I just ordered the Spinlock. My furling line cleat is on the angled part of the platform that holds the rest of the clutches, so that it sets at a 45 degree angle. Did you mount the Spinlock in that location? I'm wondering if it wouldn't fit on the edge of the horizontal area with the rest of the clutches. The fairlead for the traveller could be moved to the left an inch or so. That would give it a straighter path to the winch.

Gary
Even Keel II #288
jonfreeman

Post by jonfreeman »

Gary -

I mounted it in the same location as the cleat. PERFECT fit hole pattern, but I used shorter screws. If you would like to see a picture, email me at jon@jonfreeman.net.

Jon Freeman
C-350 #51
Zephyr
jonfreeman

Post by jonfreeman »

Gary -

Forgot to say it works just fine with the winch in that location.

Jon
RCattell

Post by RCattell »

Gary & Jon,

I also mounted it in the same location and used shorter screws. I have not used it on the winch, have not needed to.
It does work much better by having the line in a clutch instead of free though.
Richard Cattell
S/V Rachael Lynn
Catalina 350 Mk II
EvenKeel

Post by EvenKeel »

I finally mounted my Spinlock clutch today. It was nice that it fit the holes for the existing cleat, but the mesh bags for stowing the halyards etc interfered with handling the furling line, and it seems difficult to haul on the line without popping the clutch open accidentally-- which could be nasty in a heavy wind. So I moved it to the horizontal area just to outboard of the traveler cam cleat at it's fair lead. After moving the furling line to the outboard-most sheave in the traveler, the Spinlock was perfectly inline between the sheave and the winch. Works extremely well there! There is a metal backing plate under this area, but that allowed me to tap threads into it and use bolts instead of screws to mount the clutch.

This is a cheap and easy addition that makes a world of difference. I was out in 25 knots solo today and it made handling the genny much easier. Thanks to whomever first thought of this.

I took a picture of it. Email me if you want to see it. gbenzon{at}benzonresearch{dot}com

Gary
Even Keel II #288
atorino

Post by atorino »

I too had trouble reefing the jib with the deck cleat Catalina supplied with my ’04 350. I replaced it with a Spinlock rope clutch that aligned exactly with the screw holes that were there for the deck cleat. That small change made controlling both a reefed main and reefed headsail much easier. Sorry, but I do not know what the part number is, but I purchased it at West Marine.

Art Torino

Netti Verde, #161
Art
Netti Verde, #161
Cape Cod
EvenKeel

Picture of alternate clutch location

Post by EvenKeel »

I've had a number of people e-mail to ask for a picture of the Spinlock clutch mounted on the horizontal area next to the traveller cam cleat. This has worked out extremely well for me.

I'm going to attempt to include the picture below. You'll notice that I left the original cleat in place. I've used it to back up the Spinlock clutch when heavy storms were forecast.

Gary
Even Keel II
spinlock.JPG
spinlock.JPG (123.41 KiB) Viewed 15516 times
Chuck_on_Hudson

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

Does anyone know what the metal plate embedded in the deck is made of; aluminum, stainless steel, mild steel or something else? If stainless I am not sure if my tap can cut it.

Any idea of its thickness?

Any recommendations on materials for fasteners (e.g. stainless). I do not want a galvanic corrosion situation.

Thanks for your help
MarkElliott

Post by MarkElliott »

Has anyone attempted the same for the main sheet to replace the jam cleat to the left of the starboard rope clutches on the cabin top? Interested to see what they used. Mainsheet had a write up on replacing the jam cleat with a locking rope clutch, but think a easy to release one, like the one used on the jib furler here would be a better choice.
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

First, I replaced the main sheet with the Spinlock locking rope clutch and love it. As for the genoa furling line, I rerouted the line from the cabin top to the starboard stanchions using furling blocks attached to the bottom of
stanchions leading back to the front stanchion of the stern rail then turning with another block forward to a self installed cleat. This works great and gets the line off of the foredeck where I was always tripping over it. Jim
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)