Whisker Pole size

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Air Mobility

Whisker Pole size

Post by Air Mobility »

I am looking to improve my downwind speed. I cruise on the Chesapeake Bay with a crew of two, my wife and I. After reading as many posts as I thought apply, it appears a whisker pole for my 150 genoa will be the easiest way to proceed. What length and diameter pole should I look for? Would "on mast" storage be the easiest to deploy? Any advise would be appreciated.

George
Air Mobility
hull 158
Triumph

Re: Whisker Pole size

Post by Triumph »

I use the 3" outside 2 1/2 inside pole sizes. I tried the 3 1/3 inch outside and it was just to heavy. I attach mine to a ring installed on the front of the mast. (Place it higher than you think .... )

I store it along the port side of the deck. If you look at the deck, you'll see a fairly straight potion from the back end of the bow rail to the second stanchion back. I bought just one "Stanchion Mount Pole Chock", from West Marine, $40.48. This locks in the center of the pole at the first stanchion, and then I have a loop of line that I attach the ends of the pole at the bow rail and at the second stanchion. The pole is out of the way and off deck slightly. This is probably the least expensive and simplest way to go. The "on the mast" mounting might be a more elegant solution.
Picture available via email cullensailor at g mail dot com
Bill on TRIUMPH
Jack McDonald

Post by Jack McDonald »

George,
I have the forespar whisker pole with mast attachment. I've used it twice. I'm considering selling it. If you're interested, contact me. I'm on the Chesapeake Bay. Winter storage in Annapolis.

Jack
Jack
Friendship
C350, #80
Chesapeake Bay
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I have only had one experience with a whisker pole and it wasn't necessarily great. However, when I think about improving my downwind performance I would look at what options I have. From what I can tell there are basically 3 maybe 4 options. Which one is right for you depends on your typical sailing conditions and personal preferences. The options I see are A) Whisker Pole, B) Asymetrical Spinaker, C) Doyle furling UPS, and D) Symetrical Spinaker.

I'd look at the issue of when do I intend to use whatever choice I make and how effective is it in those conditions and how easy is it to use/deploy/take down.

The real problem I see with downwind performance is in light wind conditions (less than 8 knots). Above 10-15 knots apparent there is likely to be enough wind to fill our 135 or 150 genoas even though the main is blocking some of the wind to the genny. Some of the suggestions as to re-routing the jib sheet to some sort of "car on the rail" arrangement is likely to be satisfactory in moderate winds. With light winds, the main blocks part of the genoa and it just falls because the fabric and sheets are heavy. I've even considered furling the main and flying the genoa alone to see what happens to overall performance. A whisker pole can be used to hold it up and would work fine.

But my thinking is that the real solution is getting a lighter sail fabric for the lighter wind conditions so that a small breeze will keep it full and working properly. The 2 obvious choices here are the asymetrical or the Doyle UPS. Both are larger and lightweight and can be easily handled by a 2-person crew. The asymetrical probably has better downwind performance while the UPS has better upwind performance (claims that it can be sailed at wind angles up to 33 degrees). The UPS is probably easier to set up and use as it has a small furling drum that allows it to furl along it's own luff rope. You could set it up on the dock, and leave it furled until you want to use it just like our present furling genoas.

I haven't got specific quotes, but in round figures I would guess a whisker pole would cost close to $1500 by the time you got it installed (more holes drilled in the boat), an asymetrical with a dousing sock would probably run $2000-$2500, and the UPS might be a little more. For the those with unlimited resources you might even look at a Parasailor. The Parasailor is essentially a full spinnaker that has a hole cut in the middle of the sail with a horizontal airfoil that holds the spinnaker up and keeps it stabilized without a spinnaker pole. I have sailed with one several times and they can easily be handled by a 2 person crew in light to moderate winds. However they are a little pricey. But hey, everyone will be looking at you with one of those things on your boat.

Now if you sail in more moderate to heavy winds then a whisker pole might be a better choice for a little additional performance as a really stiff breeze might have more of a tendency to tear the lighter fabrics of an asymetrical or the UPS. It's merely a matter of personal preference. Then you also have to consider if the asymetrical or UPS would put you in the "Spinnaker Class" when racing. But if racing is your primary preference, you would not have bought a C350.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Bearlakesailor

Post by Bearlakesailor »

OK, so I too have a whisker pole & would like to mount a ring on the front of the mast however in drilling a preliminary hole I found something inside the mast that looks like maybe a PVC conduit? I quickly stopped drilling as soon as I saw the conduit...Just wondering if anyone has mounted a ring on the front of their mast & if so...how did you avoid drilling into this conduit?
Justin Lee
Hull #185
Bear Lake, UT
Tim April IV

Post by Tim April IV »

There is (or should be) a PVC wiring conduit inside the mast. I believe as long as you aren't too aggressive in your drilling you should be fine. In mounting that pole ring, you're only looking to drill a hole through the aluminum mast, not way into it. Then tap the hole for the appropriate sized screws. Unless they are way too long, they shouldn't interfere with the conduit.

(disclaimer - your mileage may vary - I haven't drilled in the front of my mast. I have drilled and tapped on both sides).

Page 2 and 3 of this link:
http://www.hellersolutions.com/C350/res ... RDMAST.pdf
show the mast cross sections (furling mast, standard mast) and give you an idea of what that PVC conduit looks like.

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle