Cutter Rigged Roller Furling Working Staysail

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Bob Hart

Cutter Rigged Roller Furling Working Staysail

Post by Bob Hart »

I'm contemplating converting to cutter rigged with a roller furling working staysail. Anyone have any advice on details of sail size, shape, installation hardware, installation details, use, etc.? I'm particularly interested in how to lead the sheets into the cockpit; are added sheet winches needed (where/how mounted) or just cleats; how difficult is it to tack the Genoa between the two forestays?

I would be adding this to a newly installed LiesureFurl in-boom main system, providing not only more reaching power but also better balance and handling in reefing conditions by furling the Genoa and running on in-boom reefed main and full staysail.
Bob Hart
2008 C350 MkII #456 at Noank, CT
C350@rhart.net
wolfe10

Re: Cutter Rigged Roller Furling Working Staysail

Post by wolfe10 »

Bob,

Our last three boats were cutter rigged, so have some familiarity with them.

The positive:
1. Yes, a few more options in heavy weather sail plans.
2. A little more off the wind sail area.

The negatives:
1. A real pain to tack the jib "through" the gap between forestay and inner forestay. This often entails walking the jib around.
2. Often VERY difficult to retrofit because of structural considerations:
a. Most inner forestay are well anchored to a transverse bulkhead that is well glassed into the hull.
b. Masts usually needs to be reinforced/large tang attached to handle the inner forestay. Many also add running back stays from close to the same mast attachment point.

Most staysail sheeting angles are inboard, so sheets are lead do cabin top, not cockpit. I have not looked carefully at sheeting angles on the 350 for a staysail, as we would not consider one on the boat.

Another option if heavy weather offshore sailing is anticipated would be to get a fairly flat cut, high clew 80% or so jib (i.e. Yankee). And, if foam luff, it could be reefed flat-- down to anything you want. And that high cut clew would keep the jib out of the water, even in heavy seas.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Bob Hart

Post by Bob Hart »

Your prompt advice is much appreciated. I've really been on the fence with this. I am just not happy with partially furled Genoa in higher winds. Really poor shape and too far forward. Sounds like a roller furling staysail may be a poor compromise.

By the way, I have been looking for a C350 replacement (new, slightly larger boat) but even after looking the C385 over (and many others), I just can't find anything that is designed as nicely as the C350 for my needs. That's why I'm in the middle of upgrading what I have.
Bob Hart
2008 C350 MkII #456 at Noank, CT
C350@rhart.net
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Bob,

Think you will be happy with a flat cut Yankee.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

Bob,

I agree with Brett, it is probably cheaper and easier to change up the sail, then trying to re-engineer the structure.

Your observations on finding a replacement boat are right on as well Bob. Even other manufacturers 38' foot offerings (Hanse - inches longer but much more narrow) are not giving us any more than we already have.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342