Schaefer furling drum

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Hans Grasman

Schaefer furling drum

Post by Hans Grasman »

Last week I had a problem with furling and unfurling the jib sail.
I always hose down the Schaefer furling drum after a hard sail when lots of salt water goes over the bow.
I found out that just spraying around the drum is not enough. The drum was real tight and I took the hose nozzle and sprayed the drum from below. In other words I gave it an enema :o which worked like a charm. Do not use lubricant on this part.
Happy sailing !
lyle

Re: Schaefer furling drum

Post by lyle »

There are holes as well in the furler drum itself - probably hidden by your furling line. The Schaefer operating manual does recommend spraying high pressure fresh water into these holes after sailing as part of regular maintenance.
Lyle
"Serenity"
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I just got off the phone with a guy at Schaefer Marine. My furler continued to get tougher and tougher to furl, until I couldn't furl it without a winch! (just about). I have flushed it from below as Hans says many times. I disassembled the entire thing, removed the drum that has the bearing balls in it, soaked it in a special solution to dissolve salt, flushed it, WD-40'ed it, and even put a pressure washer to it. I worked it back and forth hundreds of times. I still cannot move the two drum parts by hand! By the way, my furler is 2004, and does not have the flush holes on the drum.

The guy at Schaefer said, this older model has problems in the warm climates, and something about the race rings for the balls and it will never work right. Said the only solution was to replace the part, for $110. Which I am going to do. He said it was not covered by the warranty.

I would conclude that if you have this older model, you may eventually find the furler harder and harder to furl. The guy at Schaefer implied this too. So, don't waste time and money like me, just order the new part.
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Bill,
Please let me know the Schaefer part number and some advice on installing it. I will do it in October when we come back to Florida for the season.
Thank you !
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I suggest you call them and order it, and they will send you the right stuff. It's item #33-049-A, 2100 Furler Drum Bearing Assy. They also send a few screws with it, and the instruction manual.
Over all, just start taking things apart. I was able to loosen my forestay enough to get the pins in and out OK. I did attach the jib hayard to the nose of the boat and cranked on it pretty hard too. It went well, no troubles.
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Bill
Just one more question on the schaefer drum issue: Do you loosen the back stays first before you try to pull the top of the mast forward ?
Thank you !
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

When I changed out the drum, all I did was put a halyard froward, and crank down on it. I did not loosen any stays. Be sure to mark the turnbuckle to where the threads came to so that when you put it back, you know how far to tighten the headstay.