Not all 350's are the same!

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

djones

Not all 350's are the same!

Post by djones »

In the continuing quest to get our project boat, lucky hull #13 back in the water, we are going through the process to get new sails made. After making the measurements, we started seeing a discrepancy between our numbers and the stock sail plan numbers.

It seems our 350 was ordered and built with a mast not to exceed 48' above the waterline. Most boats are apparently about 52' above the water line. I'm sure glad I didn't just order stock sails!

Now it makes more sense that when I needed to replace the upper portion of the backstay it wasn't the length listed in the manual posted on this website, and was off by a few feet. I just measured my existing and had a duplicate made.

Now we're trying to figure out the new sail plan measurements so I can get a corrected PHRF from the local authority here. I guess I can sneak under more bridges than I previoulsy thought, although I'll be sailing a bit slower! I'll have to remember all this stuff if I ever have to replace the mast..hopefully not!

In other news, most of the outstanding repairs have been made, and we're just trying to get some time for bottom paint before she spashes.

Thanks,
Don Jones #13
Southport / Oak Island, NC
Hans Grasman

Re: Not all 350's are the same!

Post by Hans Grasman »

Don
If you ever have to replace the mast keep it at the same size as the one you have now.
You can now clear practically all bridges on the Tombigbee, most Alabama and Fl. intercoastal bridges. So that would be a big plus if you sell.
Was hull # 13 in a hurricane ? You have done a lot of work.
djones

Re: Not all 350's are the same!

Post by djones »

I don't have any plans to change the mast, just have to remember this if it is ever damaged and needs replacement. I haven't researched if it would let me get under certain bridges on the Atlantic ICW, but as the say, it is what it is!

Yes, this was a hurricane boat, an '03, damaged in '04 reportedly during "Ivan" in Florida. I had some hull work to grind out and reglass, plus lots of internal systems to repair/replace. All internal electrics, motors, etc. have been replaced. All of the electrics on the engine have been replaced. The original sails were lost, so we're having to remeasure everything to build new sails from scratch. That's when we found the mast height discrepancy. (We went with UKSails.)

Running the numbers, it looks like the mainsail has about 10% less sail area as compared to a stock main. I have to get that figured into my PHRF somehow.

All I have left now is to install the PSS shaft seal upgrade for water injection, paint the bottom, and put a name on her.

-Don Jones