Re-routing Headsail Furling Line

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Re-routing Headsail Furling Line

Post by KenKrawford »

I'm tired of tripping on the headsail furling line on the foredeck. I was looking at some stanchion mounted blocks by Garhauer. I would like to mount them on the outside of the stanchion if possible.
Does anyone have any experience with these?
Where did you put the cleat for the line?
Any pros or cons of other brands?
Thanks.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
tjr350

Post by tjr350 »

Ken,
I feel the same way as you and I think the current routing causes undue friction in the system. I have seen two C350's that have changed over to a stanchion mounted system on the starboard side (Mallowmar and Canopus). I just purchased the stanchion mounted blocks and a final turning block with cam cleat from Garhauer. The cost was very reasonable. I have not installed it yet. My plan for the bitter end of the line is to lay it in the cam cleat while sailing. Any extra line will be coiled and hung from the lifeline or pushpit for storage. I think the cam cleat will be sufficient to hold the loads while sailing, but if not, the stern cleat is not far away. When I install it, I will send some pics to Skip Penziotto. Maybe he can use it in Mainsheet.
Triumph

Jib Furling line

Post by Triumph »

I would recommend that if you reroute the line, that you provide a way to lead the furling line to one of the winches on the cabin top. You would want it to clear the cockpit coaming so as not to cut into the fiberglass if the line is under load. I would also put a stopper on the line prior to the winch. (your cam cleat turning block idea). This way you could free up the winch if needed for the main sheet, etc.
You other option is to add a smaller winch forward of the primay winch just for the furing line.
LONGHAWK

Re: Re-routing Headsail Furling Line

Post by LONGHAWK »

I am growing increasingly aware that the amount of force required to furl the headsail in winds over 15 is too great. I am going to have a rigger checkout the schaefer 2100 unit. Have others experienced this concern? I am also considering re-routing the furling line off of the coach roof and out of the friction points of the fairleads.
Comments,pix, and experiences solicited

LONGHAWK #173
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Tim,
I appreciate if you would send us pictures and installing instructions for your planned installation of the furling line.
My dinghy is carried on the bow and I find that the current furling line rubs against the hypalon of the dinghy. I also have tripped over the furling line plus the furling line rubs against my dodger window. All in all a lousy setup.
For single handling it will also be much easier to handle the head sail from the back of the cockpit.
Looking forward to your follow up pictures and installation instructions.
Thank you !
Hans
Golden Handcuffs

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

I know this is an old post, but I'm going to do this modification, and move the furler line to the stanchions. Where should I terminated the line? Should I install a cleat, or a cam cleat or what, and where should I put it?
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I highly recommend that you make sure the line can be lead to a winch on the cabin top without rubbing on anything. And yes, some sort of stopper on the line is needed too.
Golden Handcuffs

You use a fiddle block? I can't quite picture how that works...what did you attach the block to? I'd love to see a picture of it if you have one.
Golden Handcuffs

I used the Schaefer Marine stanchion mounted blocks on mine, and furled it for the first time today. Winds were 15+ knots, conditions which certainly would make furling a chore. I'm pleased to say this was a tremendous improvement! Very easy to furl the sail; no winching, grunting, cursing, etc. required. Well worth $100.

I might take it one step further though. My dockmate has a similiar setup on his Caliber 40, but the last block is a stanchion-mounted Harken ratchet block. You can turn the ratchet on, which apparnetly makes it much easier to furl in high winds, because you can't lose ground. I've been searching the catalogs though, and I've yet to find a ratchet block that has a stanchion mount.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Cuffs,

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+har7402
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Golden Handcuffs

Sweet! That's a little different than the one I saw, but should do the trick. Thanks.