Maxwell 800 Windlass

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jreinhold

Maxwell 800 Windlass

Post by jreinhold »

Hello all. Been a member since the start of the year and have my first question to ask of the group, I'm certain there are many more to follow. I have a Maxwell VW800 windlass on the 350 I bought late last year, hull number 332. I opened the access panel over the V-berth to inspect the windlass, and found there was some oil on the top side of the panel. Inspection of the sight glass appears to show that there is no oil in it. I'm putting aside the concern for the leak for the moment, I've heard they can leak some. In the meantime, I am going to add oil and keep a close watch. The manual tells you to add oil until it is half was up the sight glass, but does not say how to add. Based on what I've been able to read, it appears you take the topside components off, then remove the 4 bolts holding the deck plate on, then you are looking in to the gearbox and can add it there. Before I open it up and get in really deep, I'm hoping to the expert's perspective to tell me if I'm on the right track or going down the wrong road.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.
Jim Reinhold
Tranquility
KenKrawford

Re: Maxwell 800 Windlass

Post by KenKrawford »

Jim, I've always removed the windlass completely when adding oil. There are 2 bolts that connect the gearbox to the motor and they must be removed in addition to the 4 that you referenced in your post. Adding oil through the site glass is a SLOW process. Bubbles tend to form when pouring the oil in and make this a very tedious process. 90 weight lower unit oil is the easiest product to find for this job. -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O ... UTF8&psc=1
My first thought is if you're going to go to all the trouble of pulling the windlass to add oil, you might as well get a seal repair kit and fix the cause of your problem while you're in there. This thread had a pretty decent description of the process. - https://catalina350.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=217. The unit is pretty heavy so have a couple of cushions wedged underneath before pulling those last 2 bolts.
The hardest part (for me) was removing the seals and not scratching the lining of the gear box. Maxwell's phone tech support is excellent if you run into problems.
What ever you do, don't continue to use the windlass without oil or you may damage the gears and then need to replace the entire gearbox $$$$$$.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
jtptdallas

Post by jtptdallas »

I’m guessing this may not help except in an obverse sort of way! I have hull 417 a 2006 C350 with the same windless. I’ve never added oil and it works without a hitch. The point being it should never leak! (Maybe mine is due to start any minute!)
Jeff
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

There is a seal that is pretty easy to replace.

Sorry, been so many years ago that the procedure is kind of vague. But replaced ours with normal tools I had on hand in Pensacola, FL on way from Texas to the Bahamas.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
jreinhold

Post by jreinhold »

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice. I'm in NJ, does anyone know if there is a dealer where I can get the rebuild kit?

I see that I've come to the right place!

Thanks,
Jim
Tranquility #332
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Verify with Maxwel for your serial number, but suspect this is what you need:https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2555653
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

OK, found my post on resealing mine back in 2010: https://catalina350.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=217

Post by wolfe10 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:40 pm
The seal kit is: Kit P90003 seal kit. VW 800 windlass. Maxwell 714 689-2900.

Ours was leaking from the gear box to motor seal as well.

Removed the motor (two bolts).

Drove a screwdriver blade into the old/leaking seal and removed it.

Used a socket slightly larger than the ID of the seal to drive it in.

Reinstalled the motor.

Removed the old sight glass.

With a quart of 90 wt gear lube, squeezed it into the sight glass hole, using fingers to keep it from draining out. Took a couple of times to get the oil level correct (middle of sight glass), then installed the new sight glass that came with the kit.

If you ever see oil stains on the front shelf in the forward cabin, the gear box is the likely suspect. Do NOT allow it to run out of oil, or you turn a $40 reseal job into BIG bucks.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Here's a Youtube video for the rebuild. It's not the greatest but you may find some of it useful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBuHeKe9aLA
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
jreinhold

Post by jreinhold »

Thanks to all for your thoughts and comments. I got a seal kit from Defender and replaced them last weekend. Reinstalled everything and it actually worked! No leak after several days! I will say the hardest part is the unknown while taking out the old seals, particularly the first. Trying to be careful not to damage or scratch anything, but you really can't see what you are up against. Once the first was out, things went quickly.

Thanks Again!

Jim Reinhold
Tranquility #332
Byram, NJ