lifeline replacement

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

belladonna

lifeline replacement

Post by belladonna »

Has anyone replaced their lifelines? If so did you do it or have a company like "Lifelines and Rigging" to it?
Thanx, Jim
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
Alessandro

Re: lifeline replacement

Post by Alessandro »

Hi Jim,

I have not as yet considered replacement of the lifelines but will likely do so next year on the basis of precaution rather than any indications of weakness or rusting. I'm curious to understand what has prompted you to consider replacement such that I can inspect my lifelines for any similar issues.

Alessandro
Alex Kennedy aka Alessandro
Catalina 350 Hull 424
Airlie Beach
Tropical Queensland
Australia
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Hello Alex - My lifelines are covered by white plastic tubing and I have noticed rusting in spots. Since there is no way to tell where the rusting is or how severe it is with the covering in place, I was going to order custom, uncovered wire replacements from a company named Lifelines and Rigging in Palm Coast, Florida. I received a quote from them last year but recent attempts to contact them has failed. They also wanted me to send my current lifelines to them so they could match them exactly in length, etc. Anyone know of a company that does this work?
Thanx, Jim
Jim Lassiter
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Jim, have you considered stripping the vinyl covering from your existing lifelines and inspecting? If it's satisfactory you're good to go and you have "naked" lifelines like you were going to order. If not, you're in the same position as now.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

We got all new lifelines in 2017 for the same reason (starting to see some rusting at fittings and wanted to move to uncoated lines for safety).

These folks did a wonderful job: https://www.riggingandhardware.com/ in Fairhaven, MA.

We dropped off the old lines and picked up the new ones as we're within driving distance.

New lines were perfect and have a nice "feel" to them. Not rough on bare hands at all. High quality fittings as well. Swages are perfect.

Complete cabling with all new fittings: 3/16" 1x19 type 316 stainless cable, new pin fittings, gate eyes, pelican hooks, and toggle jaws.

Under $600 in 2017 with no shipping.

Bob
Guinevere
russp

Post by russp »

And, just a thought, if you can strip off the plastic cover and find that the wire beneath is sound, but rust stained, you can clean them up brilliantly with Spotless Stainless. Just wait for a high humidity, no sun day, or do in the evening with a bit of dew around, pour some into a cloth and run along the wire working the gel into the wire matrix, leave for an hour or so but don't let it dry out, then high pressure wash off. The lifelines will look like they just came out of the factory.

Regards
Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Many thanks to everyone who responded on my life line questions. As several suggested I will strip off the covering and check their condition. The C350 IA folks are the best. Thanx, Jim
Jim Lassiter
nybor

Post by nybor »

Hi. All. Same dilemma, small rusted parts of my vinyl coated lifelines. I thought it would be a super easy covering removal process...... NOPE! So before I slice off a finger from my razor blades, did anyone actually do this? If so, what is the secret?

I promise I won't share it with anyone.

Thanks

dave bloomquist
Nybor