Cat 350 Info and Wing Keel Dimensions

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

rjengelhart

Cat 350 Info and Wing Keel Dimensions

Post by rjengelhart »

Hi,

New to the forum. Recently sold a Cat 34 in SF Bay, moved to Punta Gorda, FL, made an offer on a Cat 350 which we'll survey and check sail next Thursday.

Don't know much about the 350 besides its being a Catalina. Any insights to its sailing qualities, quirks, etc.

I'm also looking for the wing keel dimensions, specifically its 'beam" and length...important to me for adjusting my boat lift.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.
vr
Bob Engelhart
SV Andiamo #464
Punta Gorda, FL
Mark Sutherland

Re: Cat 350 Info and Wing Keel Dimensions

Post by Mark Sutherland »

I too sold my 1986 34' and bought a 2006 350 2 years ago. From a pure sailing standpoint, I liked the way my 34 sailed a little better than the 350. My sense is that the Center Of Effort on the 350 is higher up than the 34, and so the 350 seems to get overpowered by the wind a little earlier than the 34 (3 to 4 knots earlier?). So the boat will heel a little more a little sooner, which can make some passengers a little nervous a little sooner. The 350 may be a little more top heavy with in mast furling, but I'm not sure of that. It's not a huge deal, we simply reef a little earlier with the 350, which is much easier with the roller furled main (no more wrestling with the slab reefed main on deck in heavy conditions). I've also switched from a 150 to a 120 Jib which was a big improvement. The roller furled main can be difficult to deal with at first, but myself and others have written at length about how best practices for deploying the main. The good stuff will be pretty obvious once you step aboard. The cockpit is HUGE compared to the 34. If you are short, you might want to check the sight lines while sitting in your preferred position at the wheel. The cabin top is quite high and can create some site line challenges from behind the wheel while sitting. The cockpit cushions plus about 4" more of throw-cushions help improve my visibility from the wheel. I also had the foot of my jib cut high to help with visibility. The interior will feel huge compared to the 34, and you can decide whether the unique layout of the 350 will work for you or not. The extra head room will make the forward cabin feel much roomier, getting in and out of bed, etc. Let us know how your search is going.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
MarkElliott

Post by MarkElliott »

My impression is the 350 does best in over 10 knot of wind. It is beamy,so you feel the heel more. The rail is higher above the water, so passengers, especially those in the stern perch seats feel excentuated movement due to a pendulum effect. If you watch the inclinometer, it's not as much as it feels. But it's enough to drive my wife from her favorite fair weather seat to the cockpit floor as the wind rises.
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

You also asked for dimensions.

This from the 6/2003 brochure:

Draft of wing keel: 4'6". We have found this to be accurate unless really heavily loaded.
Max beam: 13' 0".
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
rjengelhart

Post by rjengelhart »

Appreciate everybody's help. We did buy a Cat 350 #464.

Vessel was well taken care of with just a few issues picked up during the survey; mainsail is at the repair shop.

We've sailed her a bit, seems stable and comfortable in the local (SW FL) winds. Actually had to reef one day...nicely balanced helm, happy wife.

OK, back to some projects...winch maintenance, steering inspection & maintenance, later the roller furling.

Again, thanks to all for comments, insight and advice.

vr
Bob
Andiamo
vr
Bob Engelhart
SV Andiamo #464
Punta Gorda, FL