Which Anchor Chain?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Windseeker

Which Anchor Chain?

Post by Windseeker »

It's time for new chain. The last chain I put on was 3B. It looks like there is now G4, Grade 43, High Test chain which is lighter and stronger. I'm thinking about going all chain. Has anyone upgraded their chain?

This is what I am finding in my research:
* Catalina 350 MkI has a Maxwell Windless VW800
* Manual States: Short Link Max 8mm (5/16")
* Chain Wheel part number C3172

I see where the 1/4" chain has the same strength as the 5/16", so I am curious about the word "MAX" in the Maxwell chain description. Can I put a 1/4" lighter chain on this gypsy?

Maxwell has a nice excel spreadsheet on compatibility between chain and windless models, but the C3172 is not an option.

Has anyone ever converted a Gypsy on the VW800?

A longer chain that is lighter and stronger sounds appealing. I think I would rather have 150' of chain than 50'/100' combo like I have now. Any thoughts on this ?

THANKS!

Mark
s/v: Wind Seeker
Hull #75
Chester River - Chesapeake Bay
SeaBreeze

Re: Which Anchor Chain?

Post by SeaBreeze »

ACCO CHAIN web site is an excellent source of chain info including link dimensions, strength, etc. for all typs and grades of chain. It will identify wire diameter, internal (the oval interior) and external dimensions so you can determine if your existing set up will accept the chain types, grade and size you are considering.
Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

We upgraded to all chain with a larger anchor before our trip to the Bahamas. What I did was take the gypsy off the windlass and went to West Marine. I then matched the chain at West Marine with the gypsy to make sure it was the proper fit to determine what I needed to order.

We now have two anchors onboard. The primary Rocna 20kg with 150 feet of 5/16 G3 and the secondary 11kg claw with 50 feet of chain and then line.

A very slight difference in chain length between "perfect fit" and "really close" will cause the chain to possibly slip on the gypsy.

We had the boatyard order the chain for us. The overall cost was less since it was local so we didn't have shipping.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

A question for everyone. I have the Maxwell VW800 windlass on my 2004 C350. The chain size is 5/16 for the gypsy. I believe the chain on there now is a G4, and it works just fine.
But, I can't find this answer: The question is "Is our gypsy made to work with either G4 or BBB chain" I have seen that there is a very slight difference in the two. I have an opportunity to buy the BBB at a good price, but I'm not sure it will work. HELP!
Will the BBB work? Id that what you have?

Bill on TRIUMPH
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Have you tried maxwellmarine.com. There is a link to ask technical questions.
Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

"Is our gypsy made to work with either G4 or BBB chain"? That Maxwell Tech rep said to look for a number on the gypsey itself. It is stamped into the metal. I found the number 108 on mine. Here is the official reply from Maxwell;

The 108 chain wheel is for 5/16" G4 ISO high test chain or 5/16" 3B ISO short link chain.

Bill
s/v TRIUMPH
www.thebookofsail.com