Cutting down the mast height

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Lulu

Cutting down the mast height

Post by Lulu »

Has anyone reduced the mast height on their 350. Can it even be done on in mast furling ?
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
wolfe10

Re: Cutting down the mast height

Post by wolfe10 »

What height are you seeking? For the Okeechobee Waterway RR bridge?

If so, just use "Billy the boat tipper". Been there, done that. Not cheap, but a lot better (and less money) than thinking about major mast modifications. Can get his contact info from the Indiantown Marina.

Here is a good site for exact bridge clearance on the RR bridge: http://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/reports/r-oke.html

Currently: Bridge Clearance = 48.39'

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

Welcome to Pensacola! We priced it for our furling main, it will require a new mast. Cost estimate was $10K. If you are in Pensacola for a couple of weeks contact us to get together. There are several 350s in The area. Two 350s near Ft Walton has 48' masts including our C350 Commodore.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
djones

Post by djones »

Hi,
We have a little history with the C350 furling short mast. We bought our boat as a project after it was damaged in Hurricane Ivan. We later learned that the mast had been factory-delivered with one that did not exceed 48' above the waterline. It was about 4' shorter than a normal C350 furling mast. We've since repaired the hull and have been sailing her for a few years now.

We keep the boat on the Atlantic coast, so we really don't need this height reduction.

I know it is a long-shot, and maybe not practical, but if anyone is interesting in swapping rigs, we would be willing to talk!

Thanks,
Don Jones C350 #13 "Onatop"
Oak Island / Southport, NC
SVTIKI

Post by SVTIKI »

Hi, Don...

I see you live in North Carolina...I hope you were spared damage by Hurricane Florence. I have been watching the ongoing flooding and effects of it, and am keeping everyone who suffered anything from its fury in my thoughts.

I realize your post is from two years ago, but I have a quick question! We bought a Catalina 350 whose mast had been cut prior to our purchase (which we are fine with because we like to sail the Intercoastal and get under our local bridges), and at the time our mast was cut, our main sail was cut to accommodate the mast's shorter height, but is also now about four feet shorter than our boom. I am wondering how your main sail fits your reduced height mast and regular sized boom. I honestly never knew our main sail was shorter than our boom until about a month ago when I noticed! Just wondering how yours fits. Our Commodore (of the C350IA) has a short mast, but his main sail fits the mast and the boom.

Also, just to introduce myself, I am the new Vice Commodore of the C350IA! I am excited to help the Association in whatever way I can. Neville Edenborough, the Commodore, and I live in close proximity, which is fortunate, as we will be able to work together for the good of the Association! If there is ever anything I can do for you in my capacity as Vice Commodore (which is a VERY new experience for me), or you have any questions or concerns, just shoot me an email! Meanwhile, I look forward to hearing from you!

Sail on...

Pam Brown
SVTIKI
pbrown909@cox.net