Line sizes and length

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Cmp1110

Line sizes and length

Post by Cmp1110 »

Good morning we are purchasing a 2005 350 it is located about 400 miles from home. I would like to know the size and length of the:

Furling line

Out haul

Also any suggestions or expierences any would like to share would be appreciated. I would like to get these ordered so I can install for the delivery home

Thanks in advance
KevinMc

Re: Line sizes and length

Post by KevinMc »

Here is the link to the Catalina 350 Owner's Manual. All rigging specifics are inside.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/101129 ... a-350.html
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

It is time to replace my jib sheets. The manual calls for 1/2" diameter, Y.B. What does the Y.B. stand for?

Any recommendations for best value sources?
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Just taking a guess but maybe YB = "Yacht Braid" which is the same thing as double braided.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
nybor

Post by nybor »

Hi. I just did both my jib and spinnaker lines. I got them from MauiPro. Very nice and went up very easily.

https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/cate ... gging.html
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

Very interesting rabbit hole there. Any insight as to the various material options for halyards? I had no idea there were performance implications to halyards. I have 2 frayed ones that may need replacement. Is it do-able without going aloft?
nybor

Post by nybor »

Did you go to the MauiPro website for Catalina 350? I ordered the general cruising set (cheapest). There look great and no you don't have to go aloft to replace them. You take a thinner line (like parachute chord or a bit thicker) and tape it to the OLD line's bitter end. We took a sewing needle and put a strong piece of thread (really almost twine) through the old line and then once thru the thin chord. Next we used rigging tape (although electrical tape would also work) and VERY tightly wrapped it around both lines and the thread that was left long after sewing). We made sure that the two lines were concentric longitudinally, and the tape made the junction smoothly tapered with no protruding lip. We pulled them apart pretty hard to make sure they stayed attached!

Then simply pull the old halyard from the bow which will pull it and the chord up the mast and down. Once the chord comes out, attach it to the new line's bitter end and repeat the above connecting. You then pull the thin chord back which lifts the new line up the mast and then down. One of two we did (spinnaker and jib) seemed to catch just a hair but came thru and the other with no problems.

We noticed that the old line (16 years old) had swollen (and frayed a bit) from the salt air, etc. was much harder to raise a sail. I went up the mast to see if the sheave at the top of the mast could rotate - it was fine. The new lines made all the difference.

https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/prod ... 0-105.html
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

Exceptionally helpful. It was on their site that I saw all these options. We had full winch effort to raise the jib on original 16 year old halyard in salt water. I will follow your advice. Thanks a bunch!
nybor

Post by nybor »

Great, I just did my main outhaul line the same way. Except since not having to go thru the mast (scary), I used the same size line (new and old). I took a pic to show the thread that goes thru the two lines, and the tape to secure them. Even without the tape, impossible to pull the two apart with the thread)
Attachments
splice.jpg
splice.jpg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Anyone know the size and legth for the outhaul for the Selden furling mast? Specifications in the Owner's manual do not include that information.

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Monty

Post by Monty »

my inventory list says its 50' long.
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I’d like to piggy back on this topic. What length is the control line for our Garhauer boom vang? There’s nothing listed in the manual. I got an approximate length of 60 ft.
The manual lists 115 ft for the topping lift. Does that sound about right?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Ken,

In my notes, I show the vang line to be 50' and the topping lift at 115'. Each at 3/8".

Now, I have not replaced mine, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of these lengths, or girth.

Hopefully, other will join in to confirm...

Bill
C350 #193
Atlanta (Home) / Charleston, SC (Boat)
Monty

Post by Monty »

I have a 40' 3/8' line and a 25' 3/8 for the boom vang.
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Bill, 50 ft sounds close to what I guesstimated for the vang.
Steve, are you saying that you have 2 separate lines on your vang? Mine appears to be one continuous piece.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
nybor

Post by nybor »

Ken, I too have two lines (interesting phrasing). But only one leads back to the cockpit.

dave
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Ken,
I recently measured my boom vang lines and also came up with approximately 40’ and 20’.
Dan
Dan
“Glandore”
Monty

Post by Monty »

yes, my vang has two. One is on the vang itself that compresses the vang itself with a 4 or 5:1 ratio. the second pulls on it and goes back to the cabin top. I have a drawing from Catalina but this system says it is too large to attach. I can send it if you send me your email. Steve
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
Monty

Post by Monty »

excuse me; the picture is of another item, not the boom vang. But Garhauer Marine has what I have on their website. go to https://www.garhauermarine.com/shop/mas ... ng-rv12-1/
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
Monty

Post by Monty »

use this one rather than the first one. this is exactly what I have. https://www.garhauermarine.com/shop/mas ... ng-rv12-1/
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA