Schafer 2100 Jib Furler Cap Screws Failed

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

JerryRoss

Schafer 2100 Jib Furler Cap Screws Failed

Post by JerryRoss »

I have a Schafer 2100 jib furler and the two 1/4-20 captive cap screws which hold the cage together failed. The cage is the four prongs that surround the drum. The head broke off each screw, maybe from over tightening at some point or maybe crevice corrosion. I was lucky to not loose the cages overboard. I made new captive cap screws by filing down about 3/16” of the threads next to the head of 3/4” long cap screws. I now plan to check these screws annually.
Jerry Ross
s/v Coquillage
Catalina 350, Hull #350
russp

Re: Schafer 2100 Jib Furler Cap Screws Failed

Post by russp »

Suspect this is a common problem Jerry. Exactly that happened to mine a few months back, head sheared off the screw and looks like corrosion failure. I bought 2 new screws from Schaeffer, but they were about $10 each by the time I got them to Australia. From the weight they feel like titanium or similar, too light for stainless.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
MorningStar

Re: Schafer 2100 Jib Furler Cap Screws Failed

Post by MorningStar »

I had the same problem. I contacted Schafer and they sent out replacement cap screws free of charge. The old stud part that was left came out easy to my surprise. I did spray with WD40 and let sit for a day though. Must be in an inherent problem.
Barry Dupuy
s/v Morning Star #35