Second Refrigeration System

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

S/V Serendipity

Second Refrigeration System

Post by S/V Serendipity »

Hello All
In discussing our refrigeration concerns with several venders at the recent Miami Show one interesting suggestion came up. Seal the fridge from the freezer and add a second refrigeration unit. Has anyone thought or tried this.

Thank you

Bart Trish and Sailor the boat dog

S/V Serendipity
KenKrawford

Re: Second Refrigeration System

Post by KenKrawford »

I can't think of many benefits of adding a second unit. The basic problem is not enough insulation around the boxes. Cost aside, adding a second unit would simply give you 2 units running half as much. Net savings = 0. I added some insulation to my system and was able to reduce compressor run times from 85% to 55%. Not an easy project but it works.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
S/V Serendipity

Thank you Ken.
How much insulation did you add and was it on the inside of the box, outside or both.

Bart,Trish and Sailor
Bart, Trish, Sailor and Gizmo
S/V Serendipity
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Pete Bruzik

Post by Pete Bruzik »

Hi All
I added a second unit - So much more efficient!!
We have had our boat since new – the original insulation was terrible - not enough was blown in originally - we were visited for a retro insulation install by Catalina in ’04.
There is a lot written about the original refrig box insulation / system in the C350 on this site however adding the second system to take care to the refrig box has worked out great. HOWEVER we sealed of the two sides and do not run the freezer side unit any more – it works but now it is a backup system if we need it.
We bought a large Engels ice chest fridge / freezer running on 110/12V that we have placed where the bench would be – we do not keep the bench on board. The Engels freezer is very low amps and the new fridge system in the original area uses less than half of the originals unit power needed for the entire fridge / freezer area.
I installed it on a aluminum angle above the rear engine compartment and ran the tubes behind the top utility drawer into the ‘fridge box. My Raycor dual filter system is to the right in the same area as the second refrig unit – does not hinder my access to the engine any more than the poor access I had before!
Just a real efficient combination. The Engle has been great on our trips and our big trip to Florida and Bahamas – can’t imagine doing the trip with only the original freezer – nothing like being able to offer ice cream while on the hook!
I can send pics and specific info once the warmer weather comes along.
Regards,
Pete Bruzik
Pekabu 3, original owner C350 #107, 2003
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

S/V Serendipity wrote:Thank you Ken.
How much insulation did you add and was it on the inside of the box, outside or both.

Bart,Trish and Sailor
I drilled 1/4" holes spaced about 2 to 3 inches apart on all surfaces of the box lining. Cans of spray foam were used to fill any voids. All the other insulation was on the inside of the box. I lined the box with foil faced insulation and applied 1/2" or 5/8" polystyrene on top. This was covered with fiberglass reinforced plastic.

Here's a link to the article with pictures - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51241585/KAI%20 ... cs.wps.doc
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
S/V Serendipity

Thank you all.
There is definitely much food for thought here. Once we get through with our haul out later this month we will attack the refrigeration among the other projects.

Bart, Trish and Sailor the boat dog

S/V Serendipity
Bart, Trish, Sailor and Gizmo
S/V Serendipity
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Dave DeSalvo

Post by Dave DeSalvo »

Hello All,

I am planning to install a second unit in the refrigerator compartment. I am doing this as the insulation adjustments I have made have only only partially resolved my issues and as we have been living aboard for 2 years, the refrigerator function is a critical issue for the Admiral.

My refrigeration guy has done this on other Catalinas and successfully created a true freezer compartment and a easily managed refrigerator.

Where I could use some help is finding the best solution for running a 10/2 cable from my DC panel to the large lazarette on the starboard side where the compressor will be located.

My initial thought is to go back down the port side from the panel to the aft stern portside lazarette, make a 09 degree turn to starboard and across to the after stern starboard side lazarette and then another 90 degree into the large lazarette. All told about 23-24 feet.

Does anyone have a different pathway which would be shorter?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave
S. V. Ventosa
Hull 383
scott.monroe

Post by scott.monroe »

Good morning Dave,

Sounds like a very cool project and is of interest to me and I am sure many others in the Catalina 350 community. Do you suppose I could get you to write up your project for a Mainsheet tech article submission? Happy to help in crafting the article as needed. Very interesting! Submissions are sent directly to me (see your Fall Mainsheet for submission info, or reach out to me directly).

But regarding your question, the path you are thinking is the most accessible and serviceable that I have found. As with any boat manufacture the conductor bundle from the distribution panel running aft is laid during manufacturing so getting to it is a challenge to access. I removed all of the padded and small hard panels from the aft berth port side to get at the bundle, which makes a good anchor point to run your conductors down to the port side lazarette. Caution, the fiberglass edges are ruff cut and do not make good mating surface for your writs as you are sticking your hand up inside, make sure no small children are in ear shot while your doing it (personal experience). After that its clear sailing to the starboard side.

While your at it you might think of getting a temperature monitoring system and running temp sensors to each of the cooling compartments, if you haven't already. I installed a system from Si Marine (https://www.simarine.net/) that allows for 2 temp monitors plus a amp monitoring (which I was really after).

Take care, sounds like a great project!
Scott
Scott Monroe
C350 #409 / Southern Yankee
North Kingstown, RI
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Dave I had to get wiring to the starboard lazarette when I installed air conditioning on my boat. I ran the wire from the panel athwartship to the aft end of the bilge. From there it made a 90 degree turn and went aft to the lazarette. I had great success fishing wire using a 10 ft piece of Pex tubing. Depending on the location, I may tape the wire to the Pex and push it to its destination. Alternately I may push just the Pex from the intended destination and then tape the wire on and pull it back. Use the first technique if you’re going from a small access area to a large one the second technique for the opposite scenario.
I too became frustrated with compressor run times of 80-85% and added the supplemental insulation described by Jim Gienco in this thread- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=396. My run times decreased to 55% as a result. It’s a rather time consuming project but well worth in my opinion.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA