Reduce boat refrigerator down time and repair costs

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Richard Kollmann

Reduce boat refrigerator down time and repair costs

Post by Richard Kollmann »

If you are having trouble with your boat’s refrigeration unit, do not call a mechanic. In most cases you can repair it yourself. The most common boat 12 or 24 volt refrigerator compressors are made by Danfoss. These compressors are used by Adler Barbour, Frigoboat, Grunert, Waeco, EZ Kold, Technautics, SeaFrost, Isotherm and several other companies. On Danfoss BD compressors manufactured before 1996 simple tests without tools can be done to isolate the trouble which will allow the boat operator or anyone onboard to correct 90% of possible problems. But if assistance is needed it is available free at http//www.kollmann-marine.com.

After 1995 Danfoss BD 35 and BD50 energy efficient compressors were produced. One feature on all these new BD compressors is their ability to electronically advise an operator of the location of a problem. A troubleshooting micro processor similar to an automobile’s computer warning light can be installed that will flash a code indicating what the problem is. On automobiles an expensive test meter is required to read troubleshooting information, but on BD compressors a simple LED permanently connected to the Danfoss control unit flashes a code. By counting the number of troubleshooting LED code flashes, repeated every four seconds.

There are five different LED signals. They are listed below.:

1.One flash, Boat wiring or battery voltage low, no problem with refrigeration unit problem is electrical.
2. Two flashes fan circuit is drawing more than ½ amp.
3. Three flashes, Units amperage too high, someone has tampered with refrigerant or poor condenser cooling.
4. Four flashes, compressor under heavy starting load and can not reach 1850 rpm control speed in time.
5. Five flashes, compressor running under heavy load and module overheating.

Unfortunately trouble shooting LEDs are not installed on most units. I offer a kit that can be easily installed on the module.
There are installation instruction information at Danfoss and my web site as well as in my 12/24 volt refrigeration manual on Troubleshooting LEDs. If you do not understand LED installations and would like the kit and step by step instructions with pictures, contact me and I will mail you a sell you a kit. This simple device can save you refrigeration down time and hopefully large repair costs. If you understand LED applications and do not need the kit I still provide free refrigeration help on my forum or by email. I can also help with free 3 and 4 pin Danfoss Control module testing.

Richard Kollmann
Richard@kollmann-marine.com