Re insulated refrigerators

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Air Mobility

Re insulated refrigerators

Post by Air Mobility »

I would like to hear from anyone who has reinsulated the inside of his or her refrigerator. What type of run times are you now getting on the compressor? What temperatures do you now get in the freezer and the refigerator? Are you generally happy with the work and the upgrade? Thanks.

Air Mobility
Hull 158
malexander24

Re: Re insulated refrigerators

Post by malexander24 »

I just re insulated my unit recently. It is definitely better but still not as cold as I would like.
I spoke to a guru at Dometic and he said to get a kit that pulls conditioned air from the cabin to go across the coil. He said reversing the fan to discharge the air is not as effective. Now I will say the average temp in North Carolina has been about 100 deg for a while now. In April I was busting can open from freezing. I wish that was my issue in the summer. If the vent kit does not work, I will probably tear out the POS and install a Frigaboat unit. I put one in my Catalina 30 and I have ice cold Mt Dews on command.

Mark Alexander
Cat 350 #162
Kerr Lake NC
Mark Alexander
SV M & M
Kerr Lake NC
KenKrawford

Re: Re insulated refrigerators

Post by KenKrawford »

I did the re-insulation project originally published in Mainsheet by Jim Gienko. It dropped my compressor run times from 80 -85 % to about 55%. It a pretty big project though. It took me about 55 hrs to complete. Your mileage may vary.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA