Comparing Refridgeration in Cat 350 2006 vs 2004

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

turfguy

Comparing Refridgeration in Cat 350 2006 vs 2004

Post by turfguy »

Did Catalina improve the fridge in the 2006 models. I know the worst problems seem to have occurred in the 2003 models, but was wondering if they increased the insulation and cured some of the leakage problems by 2006? I have been looking to buy a Catalina 350 and trying to make a decision between two boats one being a 2004 and the other a 2006 model yr. The fridge could be one deciding factor.
Thanks for any information, this is a great forum and I have learned alot.
:D
turfguy
KenKrawford

Re: Comparing Refridgeration in Cat 350 2006 vs 2004

Post by KenKrawford »

Joe,

I'm not sure exactly what year Catalina changed the layout of the refrigerator. I have a 2005 hull and it is the "old" style. I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact year. As you probably know, this has been a bit of an obsession for me. One thing I've learned is that there is quite a bit of variation between different hulls even within the same model year. I've talked to pople that were having problems with things freezing in the refrigerator section with the thermostat set as high as it would go. The freon charge in Adler Barbour systems also seems to be quite critical. Too much or too little refrigerant and the system won't cool properly.

Good luck in your search.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
turfguy

Post by turfguy »

[quote="KenKrawford"]Joe,

I've talked to pople that were having problems with things freezing in the refrigerator section with the thermostat set as high as it would go. The freon charge in Adler Barbour systems also seems to be quite critical. Too much or too little refrigerant and the system won't cool properly.

Ken,

Do you have your unit checked occassionally to see if the coolant levels are maintained?

Thats interesting about the coolant levels. Did you see any variations from the recommended factory levels producing better results?

Thanks
turfguy
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I had a leak in my evaporator just after taking delivery of my boat. A new one was installed and charged and I haven't checked freon levels since. It seems to work fine so I don't feel a need to have it checked.
I'm not aware of variations from factory specs. working better (or worse).
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA