Refrigerator drain

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

pieterv

Refrigerator drain

Post by pieterv »

I have a problem with the drain in the refrigerator. Water seems to not drain. Does anybody know were the drain hose is going to?
Does it drain in the bildge or to the outside?
I can't find the hose and it is very difficult to get to the hose.
Thanks for the info
Pieter
# 36
KenKrawford

Re: Refrigerator drain

Post by KenKrawford »

Pieter,

Water from the refrigerator drains to a thru hull under the sink in the galley. Is it possible it's closed? If not, disconnect the hose from the thru hull and see if you can back flush it.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

There is a foot pump under the galley sink to pump the fridge drain empty. But of course you need to open the through hull valve first, which is also located under the galley sink.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
tok2me

Post by tok2me »

I had a similar problem and discovered that my foot pump was not working. I am waiting for a replacement pump from Catalina. Still under warranty.

way2go
dvolkman

Post by dvolkman »

Our footpump seems to have stopped working. It worked fine for a few days this past week and then all of a sudden it's not pumping. I know I can replace it and will check to see if the diaphrams are cracked. Is this a common problem on this boat? I know I need to check if the line is clogged as well...and for the record, the through hull is open.
dvolkman

Post by dvolkman »

I've noticed with our foot pump that if the water level is not very high...the pump will not operate. Once the water in the refrigerator gets to a certain level...it will pump all the water out. I've tried this a few times over the past few weeks and it's the same every time.
tranquil

Re: Refrigerator drain - foot pump

Post by tranquil »

Did you purchase an entire new foot pump or the repair kit? If new pump, why didn't the repair kit work out?

I've performed each task suggested in this blog more than once and the pump worked for a while, then intermittently then quit. When I opened all up I did not get any discharge water, nor see blockage. I did not see any cracks in the pump itself Fortunately I only store beverages in the bottom, so no harm when I discovered them floating around. I used my bilge sucker-outer-manual-pump and hose thingie (I know, I am just such a techie! :D ) to suction the H20 out of the bottom of the fridge, but now need to clear it to winterize it.

Is it just best to get a new pump?

Thanks to all who contributed to the blog - very helpful!

Teri
Tranquil
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Teri -

We had the same issue with ours a few years ago. Bought the rebuild kit at West Marine. Check your model but I think ours is a Whale Gusher MK3. Not difficult to rebuild and now works perfectly! I think the washers develop leaks over the years and it won't move water as a result.

Bob
Guinevere
Guinevere
Mark Sutherland

Post by Mark Sutherland »

dvolkman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:54 pm I've noticed with our foot pump that if the water level is not very high...the pump will not operate. Once the water in the refrigerator gets to a certain level...it will pump all the water out. I've tried this a few times over the past few weeks and it's the same every time.
Dvolkman, I noticed the same issue on my boat. Pump was working intermittently, then I started suspecting a correlation with the water level in the bottom of the fridge bottom.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Long overdue - thanks much to all for input; I did the repair successfully.
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

Mine worked intermittently and then stopped working. I pulled it apart to have a look, a grape stem was lodged in there. Put it back together and all is fine again.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
tranquil

Re: Refrigerator drain-in door

Post by tranquil »

Appreciate all the data in this stream! I have a bit of a different situation....

My fridge leaks down the front, under the front door, down to the floor. When opening the door (not the top) there is a small extruded gap at the bottom of the door frame that is biggest in the center and narrows towards the sides. In the center is a little hole; water puddles and then streams down the side of the front, below the door (when shut) and onto the floor. I stuck a coat hanger as far as it would go down the hole, followed by rigid but flexible picture hanging wire, which went further, hitting a "stop" point.

The bottom inside the fridge drains well with the foot pump - all good. But the drain hole still doesnt drain and leaks on the floor.

Any ideas and/or any diagrams of how/where this hole drains to? I found a parts list but not a diagram. She's on the hard for the winter season but would like to fix in the spring.

Thanks
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Terri I've noticed the drain that you're referring to but have no idea where it leads or any hardware associated with it that's out of view. How about a couple of shots of compressed air? Other than that maybe a call to Warren Pandy at Catalina and see if he can shed some light on the problem.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Thanks Ken!
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago