Evaporator door

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

lyle

Evaporator door

Post by lyle »

I am thinking of installing a door on the evaporator unit inside the freezer compartment. The intent would be to keep only the goods inside the evaporator itself frozen and I would think the fridge should be more efficient. The cold air inside the evaporator would not just spill out like it does now. (IMHO the evaporator should have been mounted with the opening at the top for maximum efficiency of the unit and for ease of loading and unloading it.) I added a small insulated styrofoam cooler inside the freezer compartment for cold beer which works well (it does not freeze inside the cooler).
KenKrawford

Re: Evaporator door

Post by KenKrawford »

Lyle,
If you decide to put a door on the evaporator, let us know how it works out. If you are going to drill holes in the evaporator to hinge a door, be VERY careful where you drill. If you puncture a cavity carrying freon, it could be a very expensive mistake.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
lyle

Re: Evaporator door

Post by lyle »

I am looking at either attaching the door to the sliding plastic tray in the evaporator (some kind of basket would be required to keep everything from falling out when you opened the door) or attaching hinges to the side of the ice box - the evaporator is right up against the edge of the icebox so it would probably work.